1998 Force 50hp problem

twifishdou

Cadet
I'm new to this forum and know little about outboards. Was running great untill i stopped to fish. When i started motor up again and throttled open, it would only get up to 3300rpms and wouldnt get to top speed. Stayed at about 3300rpms with throttle wide open. Motor sounded rough and wouldnt get any higher rpms. Got home and cleaned carburetor, put in new plugs [NGK 2622 BUHW ] the same as old ones and put new primer bulb on. Also replaced fuel filter. Went back out and slowly opened throttle to 3000rpms and it ran good. After 3000rpms it sounds rough. Now if i open throttle wide open when it gets to about 3300rpms it very slowly gets to top speed , about 5000 rpms. Takes about a minute to get to top speed. I can back off throttle to about 4000 rpms and open throttle wide open and it runs good. Seems something between 3000 and 4000 rpms is causing problem. Motor is a 1998 Force 50hp. I'm at a loss now for what to do. If more information is needed i will gladly respond back.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Force 50hp problem

Check the throttle linkages to make sure they are free moving.

twifishdou

Cadet

rosco, thank you for your reply. Will check the throttle linkage as you suggested. Wont be able to get back on lake till tomorrow or next day to check. Will post to let you know. Thank you very much

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can check them without having the motor running, right in the driveway.<br /><br />Make sure the choke isn't hanging up, and that the throttle shutter is operating smoothly.

twifishdou

Cadet

Checked throttle linkage in driveway today and all are moving freely. Lubricated all points where connections are. The throttle shutter is operating smoothly, but not sure how to check the choke. I ran a search as JB suggested for new posters and found the bolts on fuel pump a little loose. Was able to tighten at least one turn each. Could it have been sucking air causing my problem. Thanks for the help and your reply

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the loose fuel pump may have caused this IF it was loose enough to allow air in and the pump not to work properly.<br /><br />Next stop, lake test. Fingers crossed.

twifishdou

Cadet

Crossed fingers and went to lake today. Same problem still. I noticed the primer bulb was sucked togeather while under power. Replaced it a few days ago so its a new one. I'm beginning to think the best advice would to take boat to repair shop. Will check primer bulb on the search engine here. I will check all the way back form the primer bulb to the gas tank and maybe clean out the tank. I want to really thank you for your time and responces. Like i stated earlier i know very little about outboards and taking it to the repair shop may save us time and a lot of guess work. Roscoe i really appreciate all you responces and time you put into this for me. At this point i feel i may be just waisting your time on me, so if tank and hoses check ok i think i just spend the money and take it to the repair shop. Thanks again Roscoe.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

This might be a shot in the dark but have you checked that your fuel tank's breather knob is open?

twifishdou

Cadet

Yes, checked that a few days ago. I have a bass boat and has flip open cover on the side of my boat with vent built in that cover. Made sure it was open the trip out to lake before yesterdays outing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If bulb is sucking flat, then look to the gas tank for dirt or obstruction in the fuel pick-up.

twifishdou

Cadet

Took out gas tank and cleaned it good and let it dry. Replaced a check valve coming out of the tank with a straight flow through one without the check as recomended by the boat repair guy here by my house. Same problem but would only get to 3400rpm and stay there so i just cruised at about 2800rmp and came home. I think i'll take it to the repair shop now. Did put a different bulb on whih was not as flexable and it didnt suck it closed this time.

RRitt

Captain

try putting some gas mix into a regular can and sucking gas out of it. If pump still goes flat then check the hose going into can. If pump doesn't go flat and everything runs normal then double check fuel tank. If pump doesn't go flat but motor still runs incorrectly then check fuel pump and carbs. If you get to the point where fuel delivery is perfect but you are still not getting power then check compression. maybe it's reed valves.

twifishdou

Cadet

Brother has boat with 2 6 gallon external tanks. Will get one of his and check how it runs then. If it still has a problem will check pump and carb. This may take a day or so but will let you know what happens with his tank. Will be using his tank and hoses so mine will be completly out of system. Thank you for the reply. You guys are great. Thanks RRiTT

twifishdou

Cadet

Neighbor had a compression checker. Each cylinder checked at 135psi. Seems something different everytime i check something. Now while neighbor was helping me i squeezed primer bllb a few times it shot gas out a hole on right top side of carb. Not a little gas but a stream, and some gas came out of the front of carb. Sounds like a carb problem to me but dont know.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The carb will have to be rebuilt. The seat and the needle are worn and are not able to seat properly. Aftermarket kit is availible here at iboats part number 18-7037. The kit comes with a needle and seat. Here is a LINK

twifishdou

Cadet

Thank you for the reply eurolarva and the link. Will order the kit, or take the carb to the repair shop near here. Like i said before i dont know much about outboards and probaly dont have the knowledge or tools if special tools are needed. Once again thak you.

twifishdou

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. I discovered that to use this forum properly you must know a little more than i know about outboards. Going to take it to the repair shop. Sorry about this. Thanks to all who replyed.