water very close to getting into boat when boat waves come. Normal?

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have got a 14 foot v hull. With a 25 evenrude on the back. I just fixed this boat up and went out today. I notced that when boat waves up water got very close to getting in to the back of the boat where the engine is. So I was thinkign if the bigger waves come from the bigger boats..... I figure if water starts comeing in it won't stop. I have seen other 14 foot boats with 25 hps on it. So I dunno. The boat at an 18 on it which does not work right now. So I put the 25 on it. They both pretty much weigh the same though. So what should I do?

D

DJ

Re: water very close to getting into boat when boat waves come. Normal?

Move some weight forward. Fuel tank(s), batteries, etc.

phatmanmike

Captain

buy a bilge pump

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

was that a joke?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bow toward wave.(that's a joke) weight distribution, bilge pumps are always good/with a float switch.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you really think it will make that big of a difference if I move the battery forward? And I can't really move the tank that far up. I was thinking. Maybe I should put a little wood wall around the back. About 5 more inches or so. I mean. If it did tip down and water starts comeing in the back it won't stop will it?

CATransplant

Admiral

I have a little 12' aluminum boat. I use it mostly by myself, and have a 5hp outboard and a trolling motor on the back. I keep the battery and gas tank about amidships, but it's still back heavy. I bought one of those 50 lb. sandbags they sell here in Minnesota to weight down the back of your car in the winter. I stuck it right in the bow of the boat, in the V section there. It stays in place well.<br /><br />A side benefit was an increase in the tongue weight for the boat. Better trailering.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If it truly swamps form a large wave or wake, that bilge pump will do no good. It will continue to take water on quickly because the added weight of the water will keep the already low back end under water...But if you just get some splash over the back here and there, it will take care of it.

flashback

Captain

Josh, I don't know where in Tn. you are, but we have barge traffic on the river here, also large crusiers and they both can thro a wake large enough to swamp your boat regardless of what motor you have. some foam blocks in the boat might help if you do take on too much water but the best thing is to keep your eyes open and don't allow any large waves to hit you on the stern.. keep your PFD handy... I guess you could add a "bulwark" (wall) to the sides of the boat but the transom has to stay where it is in order to keep the position of the motor in it's proper place.. I guess you could get a motor with an extended shaft, that would buy you 5 or 6 inches. but then you are also adding weight where you don't want it..good luck......

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Josh, I have a 14.5' boat with 2 bilge pumps. Small boats fill up faster. ;)

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about making the very back flat even with the top of the boat about a foot back? so if water comes over it will also run right back off?<br /><br /><br />I mean I would not worry about it if it just splashed in the boat. But I dunno if it will stop comeing in or not once water come over. B/c if that happend no pump will help. The only thing I could do is act fast start the motor and take off.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

A couple of thing's come into mind<br /><br />1. A man has to know his limitation's...errr boat.<br />2. Know man is a island..boat?<br /> <br />Having scooted around in a tinny's one thing i found out they can be a blast, they turn fast and with that 25 it should scoot failry quick. I d use those strenght's to stay out of harm's way. I am assuming there are at least 3 bench's in the boat, i'd check and make sure they have floatation under them and if not foam them up.<br /><br />In my youth we had a ball with that type of boat, we would fill or swamp them so they would barely float. Start up the motor and proceed to cruise the public beaches trying to get as many stare's as we possibly could, now one thing that we always knew was watch the waves....alway's be aware...

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so your telling me that if my boat swamps and I have the foam under my seats it will not sink?

studlymandingo

Commander

If you have the proper amount of foam (USCG reccomendation) then your boat will swamp but not sink. This is where the bilge pump and the bucket come in handy. The best practice no doubt is to avoid taking water in the stern.

New Yankee

Cadet

Josh - google "wave wackers" which are water shield used on the transom to prevent waves/splashing coming over the stern when backtrolling. It won't cure a tidal wave, but likely give you a bit more peace of mind.

Paul Moir

Admiral

What make/year is the 25hp?

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like a 70 something I think Evinrude.<br /><br />Thanks ill check that "wave wacker" out.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well sweet. Do you think they could custom fit the back and around the edges up a foot. Where it goes down the most. If they could do that I would never have to worry again.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Most waves will just make the boat rock, even if hit from behind. Some water may splash in and a few hundred good splashes might get you a pailful of water in the boat. What you have to worry about is beakers that crest and pour over the top of the wave ... like you see surfers ride. That's incredibly rare unless you put yourself in that situation. Point the bow into the wind and happy boating. :)

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So your saying the water will stop. It will only just splash in. But if I see a barge wave or someone comeing by me wakeboarding I need to face the wave and go through it? There are alot of wake boarders on my lake. I don't care if water splash's in. I can get a pump for that. I just don't want to have to worry about it flowing in.