1979 chrysler 45hp

hillbilly2

Recruit
new here and know little about outboards.<br />i have a 1979 45hp (model???)and it starts beauty, and it goes into and drives great in reverse. problem is, in drive, i increase the power, it starts to lose power and hesitate and stalls out. or if i get full throttle, it goes for a few seconds and the slows down and stalls. each time i start it, it is a different senario, but the end result is the same, it seems to lose power and stalls. it is getting gas and it starts right back up. i took it to 2 marina's, both refuse to work on chryslers and offered no suggestions. please help.<br />hillbilly2

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1979 chrysler 45hp

Hello hillbilly and welcome to Iboats. I would start with rebuilding the fuel pump. NAPA sell the rebuild kit for 10 bucks and is simple to do. Just replace the diaphram and see if that helps. When it starts to loose power try choking it and see if that improves the condition or worsens it. NAPA part number is 18-7806

hillbilly2

Recruit

thanks.<br />i am new at this, my father in law gave it to me last month. what info will i need to go with when i go to napa? or all the rebuild kits all the same? tried the choke thing last weekend, and it seemed only slightly better.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I edited my previous post with the part number from napa. It is a 18-7806. The choke test showing slight improvement is a good thing. Chances are it is fuel related. I would also get a couple of champion L82C spark plugs as well. These are the best replacement plugs considering the L4J plugs are no longer availible. You may have to rebuild the carb, but I would not do that till after doing the pump. NAPA also sells the carb rebuild kit 18-7037 for about 15 bucks. You might want to get a service manual. I use the clymer and really like it. Seloc manuals are good and you can also buy an online version of the original factory manual from www.chryslercrew.net.<br /><br />Good luck

hillbilly2

Recruit

thanks very much!<br />i will try it this weekend, and i will post my results. <br />hillbilly

hillbilly2

Recruit

napa had to order the part in, so i went marina to marina all the way up to the cottage, and i managed to get a diaphram for the fuel pump. i did 2 things. i replace the diaphram, and took off the carb and in the bowl there was some gas with ....water? it was light light yellow, so i assume it was diluted with something. threw it all back together, and i was smiling all weekend. it worked, it drives like new. thanks eurolarva for the advice and the very precise direction.<br />mark