timing, and top dead center HAVE BOOK!

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ok, i got new carbs, new electrical system etc. i also bought a book. i was reading through and and did a top dead center mark test with a screw driver and found that my flywheel is directly opposite the top dead center of the #1 piston. (which i assume is the top piston) now what i was wondering is did i do this right? and if i did what would be the remedy if it was backwards by 180 degrees? and i was also wondering if i have spark on all 4 cylinders does this prove my theory? any help is appreciated thanx.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: timing, and top dead center HAVE BOOK!

Yes, you did it right. There should be a mark on your intake right above your top carb for TDC. I think you got it. I am not sure of the theory you are referring to. I had the same problem with my 85hp. I found that the wiring from the trigger to the cds was wrong (because of the book). Will it start if you spray fuel in the carbs? Does it backfire? If it does backfire I can guarantee the wires are mixed up. That is why I was trying to explain to you in another post how to figure it out by marking every cylinder's TDC and putting a timing light on each cylinder to figure out your firing order. That is the only way I could figure mine out.

peacekeeper6

yea i also found the key was sheared, how sensitive is the trigger setting? if i got it at a round about setting would it work? i will double check the wiring, yea if i spray gas in the carbs then it starts runs at a real high RPM then dies and backfires sometimes.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am assuming you already fixed the key. It sounds like you must have adjusted the trigger setting advancing the timing that is why it is running at high rpms. First thing I would do is find and mark TDC for every cylinder on your flywheel. Put a timing light on it and check each cylinder and make sure they fire when they are supposed to. Once you have confirmed that then check your advanced timing on #1 cylinder. I don't know what yours is but your book should tell you. mine is 28 degrees BTDC. Dont forget that you do this while cranking not running.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention that to check advanced timing you controls should be at WOT. They tell you in the book to jump the safety switch so it will turn over in gear, but I just held the button in. This is a 2 man operation. good luck.

peacekeeper6

man all this sounds complicated, but i am doing it today. i was wondering what manual u have that said everythign was wrong?

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clymer. It is not that complicated if you know how to use a timing light. Once you mark the flywheel put the cylinder number beside the mark. When you hold the timing light on the mark above your top carb you will see which one is firing as you turn it over. On my motor there are 6 wires coming from the trigger that feed the cds. The problem is some of the wires are the same color and are not labeled. What I found was (with the timing light) that when #1 was firing #3 was at TDC and when #2 was firing #1 was TDC etc. Basically my spark plug wires were going to the wrong cylider because the trigger wires were mixed. I wish I could just come over and show you, because I know what you are going through.

peacekeeper6

lol, yea mine are labeled though so they are going to the right cylinder, the thing i wanna know is what is a round about place to set the trigger? i have a web cam and we can hook up that way, or i can take pics of my current setting.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing light. While turning the motor over aim the timing light at the flywheel, right above the mark on the manifold above your top carb. If you cant see the mark on your flywheel while you are turning it over, then adjust your linkage on your trigger that goes to the tower and try it again until you can. I cant tell you which way, you will just have to play with it. Did you ever mess with the linkage on the trigger? Did you just put a new one on? If it is just a timing advance problem, I would think you could just move the trigger while you were trying to start it until you found the sweet spot. I think you need someone to help you. It is much easier with two people. Keep in mind I am just a redneck that can't afford a mechanic, so any advice I give is just the best way I know. It doesn't mean it is the right way. ;)

peacekeeper6

rofl, yea my dad is here this weekend helping me, good news is i got it started. but its revving real high. the carbs are adjusted to one screw turn out so i bet its the timing. i am on my way to get a light seems easy enough. i will keep u posted.