No Spark-1979 - 45hp Chrysler

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, starting a new thread on this. Just rebuilt the carb, installed new starter. Motor turns over great. However no start and I believe it is due to spark. Fuel is getting to the carb I can see it.<br /><br />Just looking for the best possible place to start?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br />Scuda

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No Spark-1979 - 45hp Chrysler

Pull the plugs and check for spark by grounding them and cranking motor -- best done in low light conditions

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got a battery ignition, right? Points, condenser, coil and then to the plugs. Points and condenser (2 each) are under the flywheeel. Coills are mounted just aft of the starter. If you got NO spark on the plug, check for 12 volts at the (+) side of each coil with ignition switch ON. If you got voltage to each coil, then turn ignition OFF Measure foe continuity (OHMS) betweenminus (-) terminal and ground. Turn the flywheel CLOCKWISE and see if you get continuity then an open circuit. Next do the same to the other coil. This will check your points for opening and closing. If you get a good result on that test, chances are you got bad coils, however, my guess (repeat, GUESS) is that if it's been setting a couple of years, that the points will need dressed up.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

awesome guys, thanks, I will check those and post back!!