90 Force L-Drive Shifting Problems!!

eldrive

Cadet
Hi all, I have lurked for some time around here and did search thru the forums but did not find exactly what I was searching for. Buddy and I have a 90 Force L-drive (yeah helldrive we know) which is actually a good running little boat but just recently the shifting mechanism has acted up. My buddy has messed with it some and gets it to go into forward now but it seems to "slip" according to him, I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but will tommorow. Manual is forthcoming but can anyone give some advice on what to look for when I check it out tommorow?<br /><br />Is there any part that needs a little lube?<br /><br />What to check to see that the cables are properly adjusted?<br /><br />Any tips on an easy method of setting it up right?<br /><br />Thanks for any and all advice!

eldrive

Cadet
Re: 90 Force L-Drive Shifting Problems!!

I should also mention that this just started to act up all the sudden, no history of the shifting becoming harder overtime.

eldrive

Cadet

Anybody? Someone has had to have messed with these before. ttt<br /><br />Thanks

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an "L" drive. Is it not going into gear? Or when it's in gear is it slipping?<br /><br />First, if it's not going into gear, the problem I had on mine was that the set screw holding the shift cable to the shifting mechanism on the outdrive would come loose. This allowed the shift cable to move without moving the shifting mechanism on the drive. Locate where the cable attaches to the outdrive mech. and see if the screw is loose. If it's loose, you'll note that there is a groove in the shift cable that the set screw tightens the connector to in a certain way. Hard to describe, but you'll know it when you see it. If the screw is not loose, loosen it and see if you can move the shifting mechanism by hand. If you can't move the shifting mechanism by hand, that's a whole other problem that I think you know what's involved. :eek: <br /><br />Second, if it's slipping while in gear...that could be a number of things....clutch dog? Maybe. When was the outdrive lube last changed and looked at. If it hasn't been changed in awhile, drain it and look for metal shavings. Hopefully it's not that. <br /><br />Hope this helps a little. Where in CA are you?

eldrive

Cadet

Thanks Baldguy, I am going to look at it this afternoon and planned on checking/changing the outdrive oil, we will also check the cables. I actually live just north of you near Lake Oroville. For as bad as the people say these boats are, for the short while we have had it, its been pretty bullet proof, especially the engine. I figure if the outdrive is trashed I will cut my losses and part it out or sell it cheap.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I wouldn't be so quick to trash it if I were you. I had a mechanic in W. Sac tell me that most of the internal parts of the drive are interhangable with outboard drive parts. The case of course is not, but gears and such are. Could be expensive or not to work on, dunno.<br /><br />I had mine for four seasons with no major problems. It was a great starter boat for us (my wife had never had a boat) so it was good for her to learn on. We're now in a Baja 180 with a 5.7 Merc. <br /><br />How's the lake levels at Oroville?

eldrive

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, looks like you were right. At first I thought you were talking about the linkage as it connects next to the engine, but as I was draining the lower unit oil I noticed the loose cable, and that was it! It still needs a little adjustment but is going in gear back and forth with no drama. The oil also looked fine and was not contaminated with water so that made me happy. Thanks again for the input!<br />Lake Oroville is kinda low, gonna go check it out this weekend!