Pivot Screw Oooooo

Hi All<br /> I have read all about the big mean pivot screw of course that is after I remover it. I have a 1981 Chrysler 75 hp with a type C lower unit as referred to by Seloc manuals. I feel I might be ok, firts question is will oil come out the pivot screw aperture ??? Also when I removed the pivot screw the boat was in nutral and the motor was in full tilt. I heard nothing fall and was suggessfuly with the oil change. I am dealing with other problems with my motor so I am not able to start it at this time to check shifting status. Is there anything I can do at this time to test linkage. The shifter feels just fine and still only turns over in neutral position. Is there any chance that the pivot screw only caught a few threads on the shift coupler, I would not want it to break off down the road or should I say on the water. Also I should say a impeller job is about due. Let me know boys, I know you will.<br /> Thanks for your time<br /> dave <br /><br />PS: Last year I changed oil through same pivot screw hole and had no problems all season

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pivot Screw Oooooo

shift it thru the gears and spin the prop...ifn it don't spin in forward and reverse and does in neurtal you are likely to have got it back ok... <br />it's not unusual to get back ok, but normally you gotta take the l/u off the motor and work it on the bench... :cool:

AtlDawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1973 70hp and did the same thing. Motor was tilted up and I noticed it right away and put it back in without moving anything else. No problems since so you could be ok.

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if nothing fell...i think that you might just be very lucky!!....Funny I had a dream last night that i was changing the oil in the lower unit and pulled the Pivot screw and I heard a thump inside.....i woke up sweating wondering if i had been dreaming or not. i was dreaming!!

Scott Anderson

Recruit

Usually you can get away with pulling the Shift Pivot Pin. To get it back in, first spy through the hole and make sure that the bushing in the bellcrank is aligned with the hole. An awl works wonders here. If you really want to facilitate the reinstallation grind a slight bullet shape to the end of the pin so that it self-aligns. Be very wary of shifting the motor via the remote controls while the pin is out, or chance that the clevis on the end of the shift linkage disengages from the prop shift.