1975 Chrysler 25hp outboard wiring diagram

Scott Mullins

Recruit
I need a wiring diagram for a 1975 25 Hp Chrysler outboard Model# 257HA Serial # 2057 Has alternator on it. The black wire is not hooked up on the motor,and the orange,black and purple wires were taped together under the dash.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Chrysler 25hp outboard wiring diagram

Why don't you just buy a manual for your engine from this site. That should cure your problems

Scott Mullins

Recruit

I have ordered a manual but have not recieved it yet. I thought that this forum was for helping each other when we can,not to tell others to buy a book.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The wiring harness that goes to your ignition switch is a standard chrysler harness. The purple black and orange wires are not used on your motor. Mine is hooked up the same way. Those three wires are taped back on mine as well. The black wire you mentioned does it also come from the wiring harness that goes to your ignition or is it hooked up to something else. Is you motor working or what are the symptoms?

Scott Mullins

Recruit

The motor is working,and the black wire does come from the same harness as the ignition. I just got this boat and was wadering what the wires were for. Not sure if it is charging yet.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My guess is the wire you are talking about is the same one that is taped up under your dash. You can use an ohm meter and verify this. On my 45hp chrysler the black wire is taped back on the dash and on the other side it is connected to the bottom screw on the terminal block labeled ground. My guess this is used for a tach which I do not have. My guess is that if you had a tach the violet and the black wire would be used. I would not worry about that wire. It dosent go anywhere

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

About the charging part. I did was hook up a digital volt meter on DC volts to my battery. Before starting it read 12.6v. After starting motor voltage dropped to 12.35volts. Ran motor for about 10 minutes one medium throttle and voltage slowely climbed back to the 12.6 volt mark. These motors have very small charging current so you wont see much voltage change while running it.

Scott Mullins

Recruit

Ok, I wandered if it could be a tach wire.Thanks for your help.