Chrysler 115 ignition trouble

rparten

Recruit
My engine is an early 80's chrysler 115 with Magnaforce ignition. From what I've read it sounds like I am not the only one that has problems with this ignition. The engine will always start easily when it's cold. It will then run flawlessly until right before it warms all the way up, then it will just die. Nothing. No spark. It will however "pop" once as the key is released from cranking it. If I mess with it and crank it long enough to nearly kill both of my batteries it will start and run FLAWLESSLY for the rest of the day. This pattern has played out exactly the same way the 5 times I've had her out.This is frustrating and dangerous as it has done this to me on a windy day when I was trying to get out of a marina. Is there any way to change out this ignition at a reasonable cost with a aftermarket or comparable system? I am scared to death of the bill if/when I take it to the shop. Thank you for any input.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 115 ignition trouble

RParten,<br /><br /> First let's figure out which ignition you have. Does it have a distributor or does it have 2 CD boxes? Most of the '80's Chryslers are the type IV distributor driven systems but I believe in '84 they made the 115 in a Mag III (2 CD boxes and 4 coils).<br /><br /> Hopefully you will hear some more experienced people than I but it seems that something is shorting out after it gets warmed up. I would suggest pulling the flywheel and looking at the stator and components. Make sure there is nothing melted or any other problems.<br /><br /> I agree that your situation is frustrating and dangerous. I don't know about replacing your ignition system but hopefully we can find out what the problem is and fix that.<br /><br /> Maybe some others will have some better advice.<br /><br />Shane

rparten

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 115 ignition trouble

Thank you for the quick response. The ignition has a belt-driven distributor, 1 control box that says MagnaPower on it, and 1 coil mounted to that control box. I have read in these forums that people have solved ign. problems by cleaning all connections etc., but I hesitate to believe that a bad connection would fail in such a predictable manor. Also, it seems that it would recur and as I said, once I get it to fire again, it will run like a brand new engine for the rest of the day under any conditions. An additional note- the engine is a 1979 model.