'95 Bayliner Capri - Stiff Steering

oly

Cadet
I know this subject has been discussed in the past, but I was looking for some insight into<br />the normal amount of effort required to steer a rack/cable based system. I'm new to boating<br />and it seems like it is just way too hard to steer my boat. I've tried cleaning and greasing the steering rod at the motor (120HP Force if that matters) as well as the grease points where it seems like it would influence steering effort. No effect. I understand the impact of the exhaust snout fin and how the resultant torque will pull the boat one way or another. My problem seems mechanical - it is really hard to steer when the boat is on the lift. A couple of questions:<br /><br />1. How do I grease the cable at the steering wheel end? Do I need to disassemble the rack to do this? Will this even help?<br /><br />2. Is this just how much effort it takes to steer (wife has to use all of her force to turn) or should one be able to steer comfortably with one hand?<br /><br />3. Will installing a hydraulic system (like those offered by SeaStar) help or do I have some other problem that isn't being addressed?<br /><br />It hasn't been a show-stopper type problem yet, but I sure would like to know if there is a way to improve the situation (I'm so jeoulous of all the other guys who can steer one handed
smile.gif
)

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '95 Bayliner Capri - Stiff Steering

oly did you find a steering friction between the steering wheel and the rack and pinion? It's a knob that you turn with your thumb.

oly

Cadet

sony - <br /><br />I didn't find any such knob. Would I need to remove the steering wheel to find it? I just looked behind the dashboard (if thats what they call it on a boat).

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Follow shaft from wheel to dash. At dash the shaft passes at the bottm of the dash so you can see if there is a small black knob protruding from the shaft. Unscrew it and the steering is easier. I have an 88 Capri.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oly, with the boat on the lift, you should be able to turn the wheel lock to lock with ONE finger.....any more effort and you have a steering cable problem, a common one at that....water gets inside these cables and rusts them up...even if you get by this year, after sitting next winter it will freeze tight, a new cable will be needed.<br />if you can turn the wheel easily while on the lift, but is harder in the water [on plane] is because of steering torque caused by propeller rotation...it will always make the boat turn to one side, or PULL to one side...is inherent in the design, all boats with a single prop have it, to some degree.....if you are lucky, at certain trim settings, certain speeds the problem will ALMOST go away...but will always be there...gotta live with it....hydralic steering will help with the high steering effort, but is a EXPENSIVE option...

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, I agree, it should be easy like ODDD1 says. Have you removed the cable from the tilt tube yet? sometimes their is a solidified grease build-up inside the tilt tube. I have heard of some people having luck spraying WD-40 in the tilt-tube and inside the end of the cable to break-up this excess grease, (not easy to get it in the cable)<br /><br />Sounds like a new cable is the way to go, you will think you have power steering! Been there, Done that!!

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops! Dont forget to move the motor by hand with the cable diconnected, it should be very easy with no friction.

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Force 50 with a similar problem. But it's caused by corrosion in the shaft that supports the engine. Remove the steering cable and try turning the engine side to side. If it's stiff, that's your problem. There should be one or more grease fittings in the mid-shaft area that you can lube up.<br /><br />By the way, I've never been able to get mine to be perfect. I'd have to tear apart the whole engine to do that...

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had same issue on merc, changed cables, no difference. I then actually stripped out the helm, Then I got some advice, like was given here, can you move motor side to side without cable attached, Mine was STIFF STIFF STIFF, someone told me to pump the shaft full of grease while hitting it with a torch to free up goob and crap, this worked about 1 month. Then had to take it to shop to have powerhead pulled and new pin put in, Cheap part EXPENSIVE LABOR.<br />Theres my 2 cents. Good Luck<br /><br />YO HO HO and a Botttle of Rum~

oly

Cadet

Thanks all for your helpful posts. It looks like the cable is the problem - I disconnected the cable from the motor and the motor turns very easily (basically no friction). The steering with no motor connected is still just as hard, so must be cable. Ordered replacement - will install tomorrow. Note to self: don't work on boat while on the lift - too many tools at the bottom of the lake
smile.gif

oly

Cadet

Replaced cable. It was the cable that was causing the problem - I couldn't move the rod end with the cable completly removed (the new cable moved easily). While I was at it I replaced the helm with a no feedback system. The whole thing cost $135 and now it works great! Thanks for the advice all.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

One thing I've noticed in this buisiness.SNAP ON ,MAC CRAFTSMAN, or taiwan ,tools ,they all sink the same.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya. hondon, but ya dive harder for the snap ons....

zachsdad

Recruit

I've got a similar problem with a force 70. It sat all winter and the steering doesn't work. Can you tell me the procedures to remove the cable and reattach a new one? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

93bronco

Ensign

just a thought- you mite want to start you own post. you will probably get better responses :cool: