1996 75HP Force fouling plugs

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
I've recently rebuilt this motor and have good compression, no carbon build-up,and the timing is spot on. It accelerates cleanly and runs (loaded) at 4900-5100 RPM which is whats recommended. After a high speed run and return to idle,it stalls. It will start again only on high idle(not in gear)and runs poorly at 1000RPM for 15-30 sec. then revs up to 2300RPM like it should. After I get it cleaned out, it will idle roughly. As I suspected upon pulling the plugs, they were black,wet,and sooty. Can I(should I) rejet the single carb. slightly leaner to obtain the correct plug reading? I run factory specified Champions with a 50:1 ratio of 87octane "good" fuel and Stabil. The fuel filter and primer bulb are new also.... :(

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 75HP Force fouling plugs

I would check your fuel pump, I purchased a diaphram kit for my 75hp force but have not installed it yet. I wonder if there might be a recall on these engines, seems to me everyone has had similar problems!

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Did you rebuild the carbs at the same time? May just be an adjustment is needed to lean out the mixture a bit.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Fouled plug, No didn't touch the carb( only one with a 3 reed manifold). Going to go from a .094 to .092. main jet and do a plug read. No other adjustment to make other than idle mixture, pickup point(for timing only) and float level. All these are set per specs.<br />Just seems to be running rich so I'll let ya'll know the outcome.<br />New Fisherman, no recall I know of but these motors (and old Chryslers) are known for this. It's either full tilt boogie or off. I'll tune until I get a happy compromise...

jimdi

Cadet

I can pretty much guarantee you that it is one of two things - the idle is set too low - it should be about 900 rpm in GEAR!<br /><br />2nd the mixture is all wrong. set both at 1 turn out from seated to start. then adjust one in to find lean roll off - make a note - then find rich roll off - make a note. Correct adjustment is dead center of the two.<br /><br />do the same for the second carb. The correct setting for both carbs is the average number of turns out from seated of both carbs.<br /><br />ie:<br />#1= .75<br />#2 = 1<br /><br />both should be set at the average = or 7/8 of a turn out.<br /><br />jim