Trim Tabs

Hey guys. New to boating, just bought a 08 185 LS with a 3.0. Having trouble getting it to a plane. Takes a while and a adult moving to the bow for 15 sec or so to get it to start leveling and accelerating well. The whole family likes to go and a cooler so we can be out for the day. The kids like to sit in the bow (of course) and I know a lot of my problem is weight distribution, to much in the stern. Have a 21 pitch prop on it. Just wondering if any one has installed smart tabs and if you think this would help my problem so the kids can still sit in the bow and the adults can all sit together. Also if you did install them if you had some pics of them and what brand you went with. Thanks everyone for any advice.

vfrkent

Seaman
Re: Trim Tabs

You may want to drop down to a 19" pitch prop, the smart tabs would help also.

Regards,
Kent

dhof55

Cadet

IMAG0065.jpgI guess first off make sure your are trimmed all the way down when taking off.
Second, I agree with Kent, a 19 might make sense given the load you are talking about.
What are your RPM's at WOT with your current prop?
And lastly, I put Smart Tabs on my 190LS this year. What a transformation!

Thanks guys for the responses and the pic of your boat dhof55. I thought I might need to drop down a prop size. And the pic shows me where to put the tabs. When I was on their website they say to put them to the outside as far as possible and that you can't mount the sx tabs to the underside of the swim platform. But you can with their normal metal tabs. I see you mounted yours as far out as possible on the vertical surface which I couldn't decide to do it like that or use the metal ones and go out further and attach to the under side of the swim platform support. But if they work well for you there, than I will do the same. Thanks again guys

Piratejason

Recruit

Go with the Smart Tabs. My 185 LX jumps out of the water, still turns like a jet-ski and my trim button now means something. Boat is very stable no porpoising. I installed mine inside the factory sport tabs and the swim platform bubbles with no problems.

I know I sound like a commercial, but the boat is totally different and enjoyable to cruise. We love to tube and it now gets up on plane in half the time.

Good luck,
Jason

oldchina

Cadet

Jason, I have a 2010 185LX with the Volvo 3.0GXI engine and the extended swim platform. It has the factory sport tabs installed. I'm understanding that you now have both on the boat. What model tabs? The Nauticus ST1290-60? Can you post a photo of them on the boat? Thanks, Kevin