Questions abt PROP/TABS for 05' stingray 185LX

stingray007

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2005 Stingray 185LX with the Merc 3.0. I would like to increase the overall performance of the boat some. I think the speedo is acting up, but at full throttle with me and 1 other person it seemed to be around 38-40mph. I have been looking into the Hydrofoils and the Nauticus tabs although I am not really sure which route to take. I also would like to get a stainless prop, but I am still pretty new to all of this so I am not sure which would be the best for what I am trying to do. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!

pwpns

Seaman
Re: Questions abt PROP/TABS for 05' stingray 185LX

The Nauticus smart tabs will help you plane faster and keep you on plane at lower speeds but will not help your top speed. The nauticus tabs are 100% better than a hydrofoil. All Stingray owners should invest in a set of tabs. Changing to a SS prop will help increase some speed. What pitch prop are you running now? What is your engine RPM's at WOT. You don't want to get over 4800 rpms at WOT.

stingray007

Recruit

When I purchased the boat it only had 38 hours on it so it still has the OEM prop. At WOT trimmed up I am running right at abt 45mph at 4800rpm. Thinking it might be a good idea to stick with the same pitch I have now just in case I need to pull a boarder? and just get a stainless SS prop and the smart tabs? what ya think

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice

go with the tabs...i just replaced my hydrofoil (1996 556zpx -18ft- came on boat when i bought it) over the winter with nauticus sx trim tabs. got them brand new on e-bay for $100 delivered. the boat performs like with the foil but its turning is more stable and they keep the boat level with uneven load distribution. also takes the stress off the drive that the foil puts on. totally worth the money

stingray007

Recruit

Thanks! Ordered the nauticus trim tabs!! I'll re post after I get everything on and let you guys know how it worked out for me. Now I just need to figured out which stainless prop to go with. Generally i've been reading that most go with a SS LASER II 19pitch? does that sound about right?

lashke

Cadet

I bought the sx trim tabs and was looking at where to mount them. It looks like they will have to be mounted towards the center of the hull because of the way the swim platform sticks out. Does this sound right?