anybody stingray owners

2009-180rx

Recruit
Re: anybody stingray owners

Just picked up a new 2009 180 rx last week.

I love it so far after taking it out a few times.

A few issues on delivery though... on the right side of the wind screen where the two pieces come togeather, the aluminum trim was bent out of place. I had to unscrew the winscreen and bend the trim back into place. Also was missing a screw that attaches the winscreen to the boat. Looks like whoever was attaching the windcreen that day just didn't care.

Of course I missed this stuff on inspection when I picked the boat up. I was too busy drooling over my new boat! :)

A few other questions also.

It has the carb'd volvo 3.0 and volvo drive. How should it shift into gear? Mine kinda bangs into gear, both forward and reverse. This is my first I/O, i'm used to outboards that kinda pop into gear, not bang. Maybe it just needs a while to break in?

I also read the manual on the starting procedure . This is also the first carb'd boat I have owned. So, I disengage the drive, pump the throttle all the way forward to prime. Then bring it back almost to neutral and try to start. When I did this the first time it took a long time to finally fire, probably 3-4 sets of good 8-10 second cranks. Is this normal for a cold carb'd engine? Once warm it fired right up with no throttle.

Thanks!!

jayray1

Cadet

you should only pump 2 or 3 times first start of the day should start right up after that u shouldnt have to pump it at all after that as far as the banging in gear my 2010 195lx bangs alittle but not enough to raise concern. took my boat out today and speedo stopped working stuck on 30 boat running fine any info to fix would be nice since my dealer is 2hrs away

govols019

Seaman

Check the speedometer inlet port on the leading edge of the outdrive. It probably got plugged with something.

jay32827

Cadet

I'm getting a 2000 180rx. Great shape. 3.0 i/o. going to take it for a sea trial in a day or 2.

Plotus

Cadet

My entry into boats started a couple weeks ago with an 88 Stingray 176 SS. It happened to be in pretty good shape with no dings or cracks or blemishes. I stripped all the teak and re-varnished everything, cleaned the Bimini to just about perfect, and have went through everything possable to get at. I had it out on the water here and once I got the hang of the trim, I was good for 39-40 mph acording to the Hummingbird GPS. It's a 17.5 bowrider and I'm well pleased with it, pluss with the 3.0 motor/Alpha1 outdrive, it seems pretty miserly on gas consumption. The first part of September I'll start getting some hours in, but right now the water temps at or about 95-96 degrees, just too warm for fishing or cruising here in NC.:)

redneck_remedy

Recruit

I bought my Stingray last summer, its a 20' 1994 608zpx. 4.3LX V6. After poor winterization, I had to put a new motor in her this year, went with a high performance 260 hp crate engine from blue print motors. needless to say, I will own this boat for the rest of my life, or its life, which ever comes first. The plus side is, with the new motor, I can now do over 65 mph with the fuel milage of a v6 :D
I absolutely love this boat, coming from my last boat which was a 19' 1967 sea ray.

danheck7

Cadet

any new owners out there

just went out for the first time today. 1992 596. I think I have some fuel issues, but looking forward to ironing them out to see what this boat can do.

JWFails

Seaman

Just bought a 2002 190ls with a 4.3l with 92 hours on it. I bought it from the original owner. Paid $8400 for boat,trailer and all the extra gear. Dont know if this is a good price or not, but think so. Happy so far, as most new boat owners are I am sure. I have had it about 2 months and taken it out 5 times. The friends and family love it. I havent been able to log onto mystingray.com yet, waiting on title so I can get a password. I have lots of questions. Happy boating

Hatchman

Cadet

I just got a 2006 Stingray 180RX last month. I love it, great little first boat.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my 2000 Stingray 180RX in March. Runs fine. 3.0 starts right up. All I do is throttle all the way up then back to 1/4 and turn the key. Always starts after about 1 second.....yes 1 second of cranking. Only time I ever have an issue starting is after its ran for a while then if I shut if off, it seems to need throttle to start again.

pwpns

Seaman

I bought a 1999 192RX cuddy cabin with a 4.3L mercruiser with alpha 1 gen 2 drive last fall for $3980 and the guy threw in a tube, 2 sets of skis, ton of life jackets and bunch of other goodies. Took it to the lake memorial day, first time out and piston head came loose and munched the motor. I spent most the summer rebuilding a new motor and warmed it up a little with a comp cams 266HR cam, edelbrock performer intake and 1409 4bbl marine carb. Once I got all the bugs worked out and installed some Nauticus SX smart tabs the boat is a blast to run, it runs 48 MPH (gps) at 4500 rpm (got a 21P 4 blade coming to bring up the rpms) and handles great. Don't regret buying it one bit even with all the trouble I first had. This thing cruises at the speed my previous boat (1981 Bayliner Mutiny 1750 with a 2.5L) did at WOT. Can't wait till next season so the wife and me can take the boat out on the lake and spend the weekend with some of our other friends we meet up with.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

. Can't wait till next season so the wife and me can take the boat out on the lake and spend the weekend with some of our other friends we meet up with.

Been there, done that... it's a ton of fun.
I live near the Connecticut river and on the 4th of July we spent the weekend camped out on an island on the river. It was alot of fun, good memories made there for sure. Bad thing was the river was so low that we couldn't go anywhere. Next year I will pick a spot farther down where the river is deeper.

pwpns

Seaman

Just got in my solas HR4 4blade 21p prop in today cant wait till next season to try it out. You gotta love camping out on the lake.

JWFails

Seaman

I am headed out to the lake for the weekend. I am taking my 190ls and my brother is taking his 25ft pull behind rv. The weather is still a little hot but the kids will have a blast.

Stingray88

Recruit

Hello i have your same boat i was wondering what pitch,size, and blade propeller you are running. Mine takes a really long time to get up on plane and wont stay there at low speeds. Do you have any suggestions.

JWFails

Seaman

mine planes fairly quick however, it has trouble staying on plane at low speeds. I am looking at adding trim tabs this winter. I am running the factory original prop, 14 1/4 by 23" pitch part no: 3817470. Hope this helps.

Stingray88

Recruit

Thanks for the info mine has a 3 blade 14.25 X 19 I guess i will try the 23. After doing some reading though the new 14.5 by 18 4 blade got killer reviews.