Starcraft 18' Holiday rebuild - 1974

jrs151

Seaman
Do we need another Starcraft restoration thread ??

Sure! Why not...

Just picked up this 18' 1974 Holiday.

Maybe gone through several PO's. There's recent blue paint on it, but whomever shot it did zero prep! Ah, no worries, it's all got to come off regardless.

Here's the nameplate. Can anyone tell me what the numbers towards the top-right read/mean (140, 120?, 1?00) ??

This is going to be my 1st restore, so looking forward to all the fun and gained experience.

Last edited:

jrs151

Seaman
Re: Starcraft 18' Holiday rebuild - 1974

Deconstruction

Time to tear into this and see what I'm dealing with.

Started with ripping out all the old plywood deck and side panels.

Ended up finding this 25 gal tank in great shape :

1982 ?? Hmmmm, not bad for a 30+ year tank !
Anyway, I doubt if I'll keep it for the rebuild. Seems the PO had this aft sitting on the bottom hull, yet it still poked 10+ inches above the primary deck. I also see the stringers (cough cough deck supports) were cut short of aft for the tank it seems :(

jrs151

Seaman

Deconstruction

Moved on to ripping out the dash/console, cables, windshield, rub rails, moldings etc... so this is how she looks now...

Next weekend, I'll remove the front cap and supports ... and hopfully get rid of more of that old styrofaom.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Land of Tin, jrs. On the nameplate - 140 is max HP, 1900 is the max weight (hull, motor, fuel, gear and passengers), and not sure on the 120?. I looked at the spec page in the brochures: http://forums.iboats.com/member.php?u=255379

Looks like you have a few POBI's to work around. There is a spot in the drydock right over there. >>>>> Have fun, Holidays are nice tinnies.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the tin brotherhood jrs!

You're making short work of some PO hackage!

jbcurt00

Staff member

The numbers are for HP, passenger weight & total weight capacity:
140HP
1200lbs in people (roughly 8 150lb 'people')
1900lbs total weight capacity including gear, motor, people & fuel

My plate:
GEDC0409_zps6a63da27.jpg

Welcome to iboats, tin division.

Whats the plan for the rebuild? You're pulling the bow cap? Convert to open bow?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Holiday's are cool:cool:

That fuel tank was an excellent find :thumb:

Welcome to the Starcraft brotherhood! :becky:

jrs151

Seaman

Thanks all.
Yes, I?m pulling the bow cap so that I can replace the wood supports with aluminum angle and more... No, not going for the bow-rider design, rather looking to keep this a closed-bow run-about.

Conceptual Design Plans

As far as my broader plans, this is not going to be a retro-restore, not looking to turn the clock back to 1974. This will be a new rebuild. The hull is a blank-slate. The platform I?m going for is a modern-looking, fast, closed-bow sport runabout, capable of some off-shore capabilities. Dual purposed as a pleasure and fishing craft.

Here?s the so-called ?road-map?, or 10,000 ft plan ahead :

Bow
I?m visualizing a complete redesign of the bow cap.
Start with shorting it by 6? , aka bringing the front seats even more slightly forward.
Re-position the dash/console mount ABOVE the gunnels height. Typically the top of the dash is level (slightly arched) even with the port & starboard sides. I?d like to simply mount the dash as if the dash bottom matches this height. This would then mean contouring the cap at a slight rise to meet-up with the new higher dash, and then to taper back down or integrate with the windshield sides to continue into the side gunwales. The idea is to offer a 4-6? higher operator seating position offering the associative leg clearance.
Redesigned windshield (only two-panes - no open middle window) with a steeper more aggressive/sport angle.
Self-deployable delta anchor on the nose (borrow this idea from another project on here).

Stern
Closing (raising) the transom - no more splash well ! Going to be putting an engine (off-shore) bracket on with added buoyancy. This will open up another 1.5ft of usable area inside the boat, offer better cruise /planning, better GPH, and function as an ingress/egress swim/fishing platform.

Mid
Open modular seating arrangement - capable of repurposing between pleasure and sport fishing.
Singular or dual bimini top.
Deck - Material not yet decided, but desire no carpet, rather gel coat non-slip coated.
Belly 26 gal fuel tank below deck (hidden).
Floatation - loose foam - no pour foam mix.

Repower
Going with a Primary & Kicker setup.
Primary will be in the 90-115 hp range, most likely used 2-stroke.
Kicker will be in the 7-9.9 hp range and must be 4-stroke on a separate 3 gal portable tank.

Color Theme
White with gray and black trimming. Fresh modern look.

Paints
Complete strip-down bare aluminum, thus will be going with a wash-primer (possible chromate treatment), then a two-part build primer, then two-part industrial/mil-spec gloss white build coat for below water-line, then white color with black sport stripe, followed by two-part clear gloss for above water-line.

Electronics
Typical Chart Plotter / Sounder.
Marine radio & antenna.
LED underwater light modules on engine bracket.
Good sound system.
DIY - "auto-pilot" . Pie in the sky. This is way down the road, but planning to leverage the Arduino platform to implement a home-brew remote course-control system for the kicker. Being the electronic and software engineer that I am, I gotta have some geek-factor in this project here. Key functionality on setting and hold a trawling course, and reversing (180) heading with one touch of a button.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Those are some great plans man, I'll come along for the ride eh:joyous:

barato2

Commander

sounds like you got it pretty much figured. i like the plan.

those are some weird prev owner transom area mods....never quite seen those closed boxes before.

if you do go with the subfloor tank, even smaller than 26 gal, you'll have to fabricate new stringers that sit further apart, at least for the area where the tank sits. learned this the hard way on my 18 Holiday.

looking forward to seeing the pix, and to more info about the home brew otto pilot.

jrs151

Seaman

those are some weird prev owner transom area mods....never quite seen those closed boxes before.

Yup, I thought the same thing. In fact, my first thought, this was an IO craft that was repowered as an OB. But no evidence of that, plus the nameplate reads "18 HLDY O/B".

So then I found the following pic which might have been the original design :

1978 Starcraft Holiday 18.JPG

Thus the so-called boxes are indeed OEM after all. Although I think the pic is referencing a '78, you can clearly see that the splash well used to be much deeper inboard on mine, evident of rough-cuts, that it's been clearly hacked short. Seems the PO was using it last as a small lake / river boat small 40 hp OB and saw no threat in leaving the well hacked and open.

My afterthought with the so-called odd box design lends me to assume Startcraft had a single design for both in and out drive models, and the only deference was the last-minute yet limited effort transom type before it rolled out the factory - cost savings maybe.

barato2

Commander

not sure about that last---i have this hull in both I/O and OB versions, and the stern area is very different. they may have changed that in the years since my '64 and '65 boats were built, tho. the beancounters can do a lot in 10 years....

regardless of their origin, they definitely seem like wasted space that could be better used for something, anything, else. or else fill em with foam?

so i guess with all that custom work, your resto will be on the 5 year plan? ;) (coming from someone else who decided not to leave his Holiday stock.....)

InMotion

Commander

Sounds good man! Welcome again to tincity! Should be an interesting build! Rock and roll time!!

Jim

jrs151

Seaman

Thanks Jim ! You guys are veterans at this. Happy to join the few that have ventured to resuscitate these fine crafts.

Barato2,
5 year plan ?? Man I really hope not !! I have an ambitious 365-day count-down-to-splash-down - LOL. Plus, that?s what I have all you guys combined knowledge here for ... to help me do it right the 1st time ;)
But being this is my first go-round of this type, your math is probably way more accurate than mine :(

Hey, very cool. I just went back to the brochure sticky ... here are all the '74 Holidays :

I'm learning still ... so both the 21 & 18 came in IO & OB, but now that I see in along side the smaller models, box design might have been due to the higher sides. Either way, it-a-changin' ... I think it's going to function a lot better having no well and no boxes at all - being a straight high back transom.

barato2

Commander

for fishing big water where you might be dealing with following seas, you're 100% right. i guess those boxes were stock.

a year is feasible if life outside the boat resto doesn't get in the way....happens to a lot of us.

i really like that fold-up table in the brochure, and it would be super cheap n easy to make and mount one from scrappage. i think i'll do similar for my boat.

jrs151

Seaman

I removed the bow cap and gunnel tops. Spent a lot of time stripping the old paint off the gunnel caps. Rough-work is done. Time to hammer back into shape a few bad areas & patch many stray rivet holes. BTW, what is the prefered/proven method for repairing old rivet holes? I was thinking of aluminum-epoxy filler and sanding smooth feathering into the profile. Once primer'ed and painted, should never know a hole was there.

A little fun indoors ... decided to mess around on Photoshop today and whip'ed out this mock-up of the paint scheme I'm going for :

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I assume you mean holes on the gunwale cap? Put some sort of backer (flashing, tape, flashing+tape, etc.) on the underside and fill the holes with JB Weld or Marine-tex. See Post#121 of lakelover's resto. Before its fully cured (~ 12hrs), shave it close to size...once fully cured, final sanding to match the surrounding metal.

jrs151

Seaman

Yes the gunwale caps! Almost 40 years of who knows who had what mounted.

Thank you BlueFin16 for that advice. Sure, I have some roofing aluminum flashing I could use, but I'm suspecting there's a "coating" or film on it that I should perhaps sand off 1st? The intent is to cutout a small overlaping patch, smear a butter-coat of JB on it, stick patch on the underside, then fill the hole with excess JB. Then go back & feather.

barato2

Commander

what i'd suggest is buying another smaller tinnie to get the patching material off of....oh, OK. i would suggest you use something a little stouter than flashing under the holes....i just happened to be lucky and have much of my last boat lying around.

also, think ahead what you'll be mounting on the gunwales. you may want to put even beefier reinf under bases for bimini top, antennas, outriggers and downriggers, etc

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice work with the photoshop paint scheme that will look good if you decide to go with that scheme.