I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

64osby

Admiral
Re: I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

Homeowners insurance cover it?

It should, but there is that $$$ deductible, depends on how low to make it worth it.

dj - That just plain sucks. Stupid thieves feeding their crack habit. They sell it for pennies and you're left with a big bill. I hope they catch the B@$+@&%S.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

ugh...I'm sorry to hear about the loss of that sweet Johnny :(

where would they try and make a quick flip? pawn shops, salvage yard or maybe they're burned-out enough to put it on CL?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry dude. I hate thieves. My little ankle biter peek-a-poos are pretty good watch dogs. I've slipped out the front door at night, after they sounded the alarm. Never found anything, haven't lost anything either.

If you were closer I'd take you out for a beer.:blue:

Don

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the sympathies guys, it's really got me peeved. Half at myself for not having it locked, for having it out front, and it could have just as well stayed in the garage, but I moved it out that evening. Sucks.

Homeowners said not worth a small claim, ded is $1k, plus they said my rates would go up if I made another claim. We've had one in 14 years..guess that's too many.

InMotion

Commander

Thanks for the sympathies guys, it's really got me peeved. Half at myself for not having it locked, for having it out front, and it could have just as well stayed in the garage, but I moved it out that evening. Sucks.

Homeowners said not worth a small claim, ded is $1k, plus they said my rates would go up if I made another claim. We've had one in 14 years..guess that's too many.

Sorry man!! It is crazy isn't it.... most of the time insurance is at best good for liability and if it is your fault, you end up paying it back to one degree or another! Sucks either way. o

Something good will come of it...

J.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, nothing has come of the stolen motor. I talked to the neighbor kid who witnessed them driving off. He's pretty positive he had all the liscense digits right, he just couldn't see the first one from the angle he was looking at. A standard Michigan car plate is 3 letters and 4 numbers so you'd think there would only be 26 possibilities right? I put another call into the police today to try to get some response.

On a good note, I did put a deposit down on a 20hp Merc. 4-stroke. My wife didn't kill me so that's good. It was a good deal though....pick it up tomorrow. It will be insured, and locked!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wooohoooo a 20!!!
Nice, and I shoulda gave you an extra gun or two to take home with ya...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, motor number 4 since I've had this boat, should be the last! I hope....

null_zps40ead6c2.jpg

I think I got a good deal, $2195 + 6% sales tax, brand new 2013, electric start, 5 year warranty from a dealer. The next best price I could find was 3k off eBay, other dealers are all well over $3200.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think that's a good price. She's in the garage, I hope.

syonker

Cadet

All sorts of modifications can be made to the SF14LW. It's a great platform.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat Syonker, looks just like mine.

Went for a ride this morning with my dad. New motor is very nice. We hit 24.5mph, about 3mph more than the 15's would do. Went 14 miles total on the Grand River, which empties out into Lake Michigan. I saved a track using my Navionics iPhone app. And then brought it int Google Earth, see:
null_zpsecde84d9.jpg

syonker

Cadet

My best man used to live on Van Lopik upstream of where you launched.

He had an overpowered 12' tiller steered tinny that we used to run up to the gravel pits & jump the wakes of the tugs pushing barges down the river to Construction Aggregates at the US 31 bascule bridge.

A few years ao another buddy & I put on wetsuits for fall color tour of the Grand on his PWCs from the public launch at Petty's Bayou to Riverside Park. The duck hunters loved us for pushing birds to them.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, guess what popped up on Craigslist? Guess what a detective went and got today? Guess what I'm going to get back? Unbelievable!!! I should get a lottery ticket...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Really... :faint2:

Good to hear the detective was keeping an eye out :)
Ooo OOoo Pick me Pick me! I know who's going to jail, what a dumbarse :laugh:

The question now becomes is it a motor w/out a transom? :D Or is it going back on CL?

Congrats on getting back what you never expected back!

Awesome, yep definitely need to be in it to win it, and today may be your lucky day.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Actually a co-worker saw the ad, so I called the cop who did the report, who forwarded it to a detective. It was actually at a dealer....

jbcurt00

Staff member

The dealer knows where they got it though, right. You owe that co-worker a free fishing~boat pass.

Somebody still needs to go to jail. It's a felony theft, isn't it?

Might need to hang on to it, sorta like a trophy to be passed down in your family.

Yep, guys, that is THE kicker that was stolen & recovered..... The prodigal kicker motor story practically writes itself........

dozerII

Admiral

Hey DJ just catching up here, sucks about the out board, but I see it is going to work out anyways.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

That's Awesome!! Hopefully the trail is still warm enough for them to catch the theavin' bastids!!!

Last edited: