My 2nd Starcraft rebuild, 1976 SuperSport , I'm back

ab59

Ensign
Did the carpet adhere well to the sides? That is my only issues I have had with Nautolex, getting it to stay stuck/glued to the sides... I will admit my prep wasn't the best for the glue, but still haven't been thrilled with the results. When I do it again (Next project I hope if Admiral will agree) I will do something else with the sides, just not sure what yet...

+1 for the floor though, we absolutely love the stuff on the gunwales and the deck.

SHSU

Howdy, Test a small spot . take a small piece of carpet and glue it over the area with the most glue and let it sit for a few hours. I used some carpet glue that was like Elmers white glue on the sides . When I did my test , I could barely get the test carpet back off the sides so I was confident that the carpet was going to be stuck on very good. Just give it a test , best way to tell.
Bruce

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lots happening guys. New trailer, New floor, flotation, paint, wood.. you name it. Been goin hard all summer. 3/8 diamond aluminum plate for the outboard. New transom and Its rock solid. The boat is at the upholsterers now, they said they hope to have it back to me by friday the 4th of sept.

Got a KILLER KILLER deal on a lightly used 2008 yamaha f60 with only 450 hrs on it. I’ve attempted to be careful with the money on this project but paying retail for everything, in the middle of a covid19 pandemic SUCKS.

I ordered real nice seats, and naturally they are backordered 30 business days. Parts are trickling in. West marine shelves are empty and the guy said he’s 100 pallets short on stock.

enjoy the pics. Hope to be in the water sometime next month if i have seats to sit in!

Question. What prop should i be running with an 1100 lb SS and a 60hp yamaha? I need a ballpark to start!

thanks

Attachments

• photo338491.jpg
    photo338491.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 15
  • photo338492.jpg
    photo338492.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo338493.jpg
    photo338493.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo338494.jpg
    photo338494.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 37
  • photo338495.jpg
    photo338495.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 12
  • photo338496.jpg
    photo338496.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo338497.jpg
    photo338497.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 12
  • photo338498.jpg
    photo338498.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 13
  • photo338499.jpg
    photo338499.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 13
  • photo338500.jpg
    photo338500.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 15

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
great progress...you're cruisin'! :thumb:

Paint is lookin' sharp esp on that brand spankin' new trailer...wow! :madgrin:

Can't really help you much on starting prop pitch. Keeping the weight down, that thing should move pretty good with a 60. I'd probably be looking in the 17p range to start. I'm pushing my 18' SS with a crank rated 70Hp (so similar HP to yours) and I'm hitting 5200RPM with a 17p unloaded...once I load it up I'll likely be dropping to a 15p.

fetch

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man that is looking good. You will be on the water in no time!!!

One thing to check each outing is the automatic float switch. The all in ones seem to have more issues then those with a separate standalone switch.

As for the motor, I have a 15 p prop on a 1977 Evinrude 70 HP currently. I have a 17 p SS prop but was only able to squeak out 4900 at WOT when fully loaded with Admiral/Little Admiral/Dog/both live wells filled, hence why I dropped to the 15 p prop. I have to imagine you get a better return on HP out of the new motor then my old one, so you maybe able to get away with a 17p prop.

SHSU

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work, looking super! :thumb:

Props are so specific to boat weight, 15p to start, maybe a 17p would be my recommendations.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Needing your help guys. Im approaching the emd of my build. Gonna be epic for me. Still LOTS of holdups with online suppliers due to covid.

i had an old vintage horn which i tossed as it was faulty on my previous build. You will notice it in the three pics i am posting. I found these new old stock on ebay before, but for the life of me, forgot the manufacturers name, or the name of the horn. Will you all please take a look at the pics, and see if the horn rings a bell to anyone, or if someone here has one, please look at it to determine makers name? Thanks! I really want this plastic grill/scoop style vintage horn on my reborn supersport!

Attachments

• photo339824.png
    photo339824.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo339825.png
    photo339825.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo339826.png
    photo339826.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, i need help. i’m wiring the boat and need help with battery Wire gauge.

. Wiring has been gutted. 2 batteries installed. Both forward of the 2 consoles a little bit. House battery for loads, and starting battery for outboard. Installing a blue sea systems ‘mini add a battery’ kit. The run from outboard to shut off switch, then to starting battery is approx 15-16’ one way, say 30’ round trip. I will have a neg bus bar installed at the battery switch which is 13’ from outboard. From there, obviously all negatives will be punched down there.

My initial google searches claimed 4awg is good. The outboard is a Yamaha F60 (60hp) made in mid 2007, advertised as a 2008 model.

Looking and comparing the spool of 4awg i just purchased to the factory battery cables generously given to me by the seller of the outboard (to short to use) show the factory yamaha cables to be much thicker. It could be bigger than 2awg, prolly 1, 0, or even 2/0.

GENERAL internet searches show results of most guys saying “ 4 is ok, but go 2 for extra security”...

Now i’m sitting here thinking i should have bought a spool of 2awg, not this 4awg i have. At 16’ on the positive, and another 14’ back to the outboard, i’m looking at a total run from outboard to battery and back of 28-30’.

My guess is yamaha uses some thick gauge wire and covers ALL the outboards they offer(generally). Cause more than 2awg for a 60hp 4 stroke outboard seems a waste. I CAN NOT find the inrush starting current for 2008 f60 outboards ANYWHERE. But the charging current of the alternator is only 16 amps.

i’m at a huge loss as to what gauge to go with from the outboard, to switch, to battery, back to outboard.. should i return this 4awg and get 2awg? Or even thicker? Tinned marine battery cable is INSANELY expensive. I want comfort in knowing i have enough, but don’t want to **** momey away on wire i don’t need.

please help!

Last edited:

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Wire run.PNG
Here is what is often posted when wiring questions are asked. Always better to error on the side of bigger for this kind of question.

SHSU

classiccat

...and place the cranking battery as close to the engine as possible.

Assume your starter pulls over 150A...and it's a cold day, the battery is 5 years old & you're 10 miles off shore in late fall. :lol:

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She’s done folks!

gotta finish mounting a horn button, and install a 3/4” bilge, hose once the 90 deg rule elbow comes in, and the wise seats i ordered (JULY 21ST!!) are still on backorder for ANOTHER 4-6 WEEKS but, i’m done.

2 batteries. Starting optima red top, and House deep cycle with ‘add a battery mini’ with 2 gauge wire and waterproof breakers. Lightly used (421 hrs) 2008 60hp yamaha with new solas 11x15 prop. All new everything. Racor gas/water seperator, 6 gal tank under the splashwell. Batteries under the front seats. I overbuilt this thing like crazy.
unfortunately due to covid, i won’t have my seats before end of season so splash is in early may up here. The innerwebs says the wise factorys are in Tennessee, Illinois, and Arkansas, so I’m guessing those states were hit hard by covid cause wtf on the hold up!?!

Attachments

• photo340753.jpg
    photo340753.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo340754.jpg
    photo340754.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo340755.jpg
    photo340755.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • photo340756.jpg
    photo340756.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 20
  • photo340757.jpg
    photo340757.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo340758.jpg
    photo340758.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 20
  • photo340759.jpg
    photo340759.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 19
  • photo340760.jpg
    photo340760.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 20

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, quick question. I wanna get a kicker for this. Something small more in case the primary outboard fails. I’m huge for 2 is 1, and 1 is none when on the water. So, can i use a short shaft 15” kicker, and just use an adjustable mount to get it into the water? Or am i limited to 20” kicker outboards? I ‘will’ have either a garelick or panther lift up/lift down style adjustable kicker mount i’ll add to the transom.
i ask because there is a nice 2.5hp yammie shortshaft for sale locally to me. It’s newer, and i think 2.5 hp should be enough just to limp me home if need be. Maybe walleye trollIng as well.

so, Kicker hp recommendations, and shaft length opinions please!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Around here, MN, kickers run a bit bigger then that, I had a 7.5 on our SS16, larger boats even have 15's.
If just a 2.5, how large is your elec trolling motor?

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, i’ll shop bigger. 6hp is about max where i want to be. I don’t have big water here. Mohawk river, hudson river, Saratoga and sacandaga lake for the most part. They can all get ugly if given the right conditions but i won’t be out in them.

Don’t have an electric trolling motor yet. Recommendation?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Congrats on the completion! Looks great. 👍😎

As for kicker size, I'd go bigger. If the wind comes up, that little 2.5 motor will likely not be enough. 😬

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
S The innerwebs says the wise factorys are in Tennessee, Illinois, and Arkansas, so I’m guessing those states were hit hard by covid cause wtf on the hold up!?!

The Wise seats are made in China. The wait is possibly more to do with international trade issues than COVID. I had wanted to use iBoats for my Wise seat purchase last Summer but the 40-day shipping delay pushed me to a certain Seattle-based online retailer with a bald CEO. They had them to my house in a week.

As for the kicker motor, I keep a 1953 Evinrude Lightwin attached to my SS16 "just in case". In the more-than-I'd-like-to-admit instances in which my 70hp has failed to restart after anchoring, it has pushed my boat and crew back to the ramp at an easygoing 1.5 mph.

classiccat

Ok, i’ll shop bigger. 6hp is about max where i want to be. I don’t have big water here. Mohawk river, hudson river, Saratoga and sacandaga lake for the most part. They can all get ugly if given the right conditions but i won’t be out in them.

Don’t have an electric trolling motor yet. Recommendation?

the boat is lookin' really good! I'd be tempted to splash sitting on a weighed-down bucket! :lol:

It sounds like we're neighbors! I'm new to boating in the capital region...I've been launching mostly in the Hudson (Henry Hudson Park)... fairly open water down there and low-traffic ramps (with double docks!). I hit the Mohawk last weekend (between 7 & 8) and it was a little too congested for my taste...although with the weather turning, that should clear things out a bit. :thumb:

i've noticed that little yammy on marketplace...not worth the extra wait on my transom (18' SS). 9.9 to 15hp seems to be the optimum size for these.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey awesome. Yeah im in Waterford. Good to have a neighbor who’s into the same stuff. For the mohawk i launch at alcathys, top of lock 6 on flight lock rd in waterford, and the hudson, depends on above or below the dam. Above, right in waterford village at the canal entrance, i haven’t gone below the dam much, but i will now. STRIPER SEASON!
it’s been 9 years since i had a working boat. I’m at the intersection of 2 great rivers. I dunno what i was thinking!

classiccat

Hey awesome. Yeah im in Waterford. Good to have a neighbor who’s into the same stuff. For the mohawk i launch at alcathys, top of lock 6 on flight lock rd in waterford, and the hudson, depends on above or below the dam. Above, right in waterford village at the canal entrance, i haven’t gone below the dam much, but i will now. STRIPER SEASON!
it’s been 9 years since i had a working boat. I’m at the intersection of 2 great rivers. I dunno what i was thinking!

I'm not sure how I missed that lock-6 launch! Maybe I'll check that one out this weekend.

Striper fishing in the Hudson is an experience. I'm excited to try it up here since its a totally different beast than what I'm accustomed to. Downstate (Marlboro, Newburgh Bay, etc.) we would drift bloodworms exclusively; you'll get yourself shot anchoring-up on a school :lol: Up here I guess its all about being anchored-up with live herring on the bottom. I have my scapping gear & sabikis ready! :thumb: