Yet another 1981 16' SS thread

AceDuece

Cadet
Hey crew! Welcome to my summer of COVID project/play toy. My regular summer hobby has been pretty much cancelled...so I asked the kids what they wanted to do. They said go fishing...so here we are.

The boat is a 1981 Starcraft SS 160 with a 1996 Mariner 40hp on the back. Best that I can tell, she's a pretty dry rig. After four hours yesterday, I don't have enough water in the sterntstern even come out the drain hole with the boat tipped up in the bow. I've now got between 15-20 hours total on water time with it and never had enough water in it to come out after pulling the plug.

The one area I have of concern is the port corner on the transom. The cap is broken and the prior owner never sealed it.

​esult, the small triangle chunk of wood is rotted underneath. I don't have great access to the main transom board over on that side. But the tie down hook feels solid and I don't see evidence of an issue on the main board. The main board could use a coat of paint for now but feels fine otherwise.

My plan is to use it all summer and then in September put it in the garage and rebuild the transom completely. I've read all the restoration threads on here and feel pretty confident that I can tackle it as a result. The amount of information on here is amazing!

By looking at the three piece design in other resto threads, it appears I'm not in high risk of catastrophic failure. Clearly the upper small piece of transom needs replaced. But I should be good to use through the summer and replace the entire thing in the fall right?

​​​​​​​Thanks again for being here and being an incredible resource. As a result of this boat and lurking here... I'm now on the prowl for a 20 or 22' SS v5 for a resto project as well!

Attachments

• photo332544.jpg
    photo332544.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 10
  • photo332545.jpg
    photo332545.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • photo332546.jpg
    photo332546.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • photo332547.jpg
    photo332547.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • photo332548.jpg
    photo332548.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

AceDuece

Cadet
Also, does it make much sense to reseal that corner right now? Or is it eh...leave it until the fall and then fix everything the right way.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The fact the cap cracked id say there is flex in the transom going on. Id play it safe and do the transom.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
AceDuece First welcome to the forum!!! As you have already found, plenty of projects to glean information from. Plus some very helpful folks to help give you any direction you need.

With that said, I have to go with g0nef1sshn looks like transom is flexing considerably to crack that cap. Also I don't think the 16' SS has a three part transom. At least mine wasn't, it was a single piece.

Either way, have fun and be safe.

SHSU

AceDuece

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome! I'm honored to be part of the Starmada.

My transom appears to be like this one. I can feel/see the difference in the two boards.

Attachments

• photo332639.jpg
    photo332639.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 7

AceDuece

Cadet
Pics of the seam between the two chunks on my boat. Also pics of the end cap. If I had to guess I'd say someone backed into something. But then these things are prone to cracking and failing from rot. Who knows.

What's the expected time for replacement? From reading the resto threads it looks like it's difficult but possible to do this with the splash well intact. If I got after it, could I have the engine off and transom out in an afternoon. Cut and laminate boards. Then wait a day reinstall and reverse?

Or is that too ambitious?

It's hard to tell from the resto threads as everyone seems to go at it a little different.

Attachments

• photo332645.jpg
    photo332645.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • photo332646.jpg
    photo332646.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • photo332647.jpg
    photo332647.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

AceDuece

Cadet
Appreciate you and all your input. Part of why I bought this bought was the fantastic following the Starcraft has on here!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Just redid mine starting on a thurs and had motor back on monday.

This was with a fishing break half day with the kiddos one afternoon at a spillway. And i have a few things to order for the splashwell like seals, screws, drain tubes. And new tie down u bolts. The transom is done and motor is on. Mine is a camo hunt boat so pretty with paint is not a concern so i spray and go. And was still fresh from my first go at it a few years ago.

AceDuece

Cadet
Just redid mine starting on a thurs and had motor back on monday.

This was with a fishing break half day with the kiddos one afternoon at a spillway. And i have a few things to order for the splashwell like seals, screws, drain tubes. And new tie down u bolts. The transom is done and motor is on. Mine is a camo hunt boat so pretty with paint is not a concern so i spray and go. And was still fresh from my first go at it a few years ago.

I've read your build! Love that you turned yours into a duck boat. I've got a 14' Ouchita Jon Boat that I'm building right now for that. Have the transom out, need to do a little welding of some damage from the prior owner and then finish reassembly. After that...it's slapping the blind on and it's ready to hunt.

Do you have a list of the parts that you ordered? I'd kind of like to have everything ordered and on hand when I go for it. I've got a fishing trip with the family scheduled for end of this month. I've got time to buckle down and get after it, but am really thinking I'll do it when I get home. Use the electric troller and enjoy.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I got the wood. 2 sheets of 3/4 ac extiroir fir. The through bolts/washers and sealer and spar urethane in on shot store run. I used the bolts and washer from the motor but got new nuts for it.

On order is seal tape, 5200, tiedown ubolts, and splashwell drain tubes. Well.... its in the cart online to order. Im waiting to pull the trigger on splashwell screws. These are the things im waiting to be finished and back on the water.if i already had them on hand i would be done.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard and to the Starmada Ace,

My take on the corner transom cap damage is from an impact not transom flex, the splashwell is what takes the cracking damage from an over flexing transom wood due to rot. From what I can see you'll be fine if you baby her through the season. :)

I wish you the best of luck on the V5 hunt, they can be difficult to find when you want one but appear when you least expect it. So keep a sharp eye out for one, I found my 22' Islander in the FB SC group.

AceDuece

Cadet
Let's talk kicker outboards. There's lots of 4hp out there that look decent. But am I going to be upset if I go that low on this boat? Mainly looking to troll slowly for walleye. I'm a little jammed up in the kicker department,as I have an oil injected outboard so I don't have to mix fuel. I'd really prefer to not add a 3rd tank to the mix just to have dedicated to the kicker. So built in tank or 4 stroke is my ideal.

I do have my eyes on a 4hp Nissan 4 stroke for $600 right now. Just not sure I want to squeeze.

AceDuece

Cadet
Also, any idea where to find the original snap cover or a comparable replacement? I really just want something that covers the front two seats from the sun when trolling.

Watermann

4 HP will troll a 16'r well, you have to troll pretty slow for walleye most times I use an electric.

Those covers will have to be custom made by a shop for you, I've not seen anywhere you can buy them ready made online.

SHSU

I have an 8 HP mercury on my SS16 and truthfully to fast at idle to troll for me, but then again it was a used motor gifted (free) by family so it works perfectly (lol). So think a 4 HP should do nicely for what you want.

SHSU

AceDuece

Cadet
I have an 8 HP mercury on my SS16 and truthfully to fast at idle to troll for me, but then again it was a used motor gifted (free) by family so it works perfectly (lol). So think a 4 HP should do nicely for what you want.

SHSU

What speed are you trolling with on the 8HP? I can get my 40hp down into the 1.5 SOG range, but it definitely doesn't like it. She trolls fine in that 2.4-2.8 range. Was debating adding a trolling bag just to see what happens.

Watermann

What speed are you trolling with on the 8HP? I can get my 40hp down into the 1.5 SOG range, but it definitely doesn't like it. She trolls fine in that 2.4-2.8 range. Was debating adding a trolling bag just to see what happens.

As cheap as one can get a kicker for compared to a main motor, I'd rather not wear out the main motor with hours of running. I prefer my 24v TM for quiet, the speed control, lack of need for ongoing maintenance and reliability.

SHSU

Low 3's for me. Just not happy with the speed. Have thought about using a trolling bag, but not much fishing is done that way out in Galveston Bay

AceDuece

Cadet
Haven't did much with the boat of late. Was able to fish on someone else's rig last weekend. Now we're at a cabin for a few nights and finally put her in the water.

I have a few questions about water in the bilge. I'm guessing I have a super minor slow trickle somewhere. No matter how much I crank up the bow on the trailer I can't get all the water out. After sitting in the lake the last six hours I still don't have enough for the bilge pump to run. I did wire and set an automatic pump in just in case.

Do I have anything to worry about or is this just the usual for aluminum boats?

Attachments

• photo333853.jpg
    photo333853.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo333854.jpg
    photo333854.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 5