New guy saying hello and asking a few stupid questions

Neverquit

Seaman
Hi I have been reading on this site for some time and finally figured I would join and try picking the collective brains of the knowledgeable individuals on here.

Constructive advise is what we all look for but smart hind side comments are welcome as well as that's what seems to keep most forums alive and well now days.

I have been playing with things that float or are at least supposed to float for over 40 years and yes it is true each time the bug hits a couple of feet longer than the previous is par for the course.

Getting to the point

I picked up another boat and have a few questions.

1985 Starcraft Holiday 18 foot HL181 in amazing shape for the age of it, 3.0 inboard with what I am learning is the oh so loved OMC stern drive on it.

The good;

-Floors and carpet
-Glass
-New used leg installed by previous owner
-Engine clean and runs well
-Upholstery perfect
-Trailer decent
-No leaks and not banged up (underside looks like it spent it's life in deep water or in a garage)
-Full roof and zipper side windows

The bad;

-Paint faded
-Prop broken
-Noisy bilge pump (minor)

On to the questions;

As I need to get a new prop for it I have no idea if what is on it is what is best for it or if it was just what somebody had handy that got bolted on.

The prop that came with it is a 14 x 19 3 blade.
The boat was bought to be a fishing boat for the bigger waters that scared the poop out of me with my little old 16 footer, no plans for skiing or tubing just something that will get me where I want to go and get me back quickly and safely when the weather picks up suddenly.

If my guesses are right the boat empty weighs around 1000 lb
Engine, drive and fuel another 800 lbs.
4 people and gear 900 lb
So loaded probably going to expect an average of 2500 - 3000 lbs gross.

Diameter should I stick with 14 inch I see lots advertised at 13+1/4+1/2+3/4... any advantage or disadvantage in changing diameter?

I realize changing diameter requires a change in pitch but I have no idea what combination would be the best starting point.

Next question too late now as I already bought the boat but I have read a bunch about what you guys call a V5 hull, is this what this boat has? if not no big deal just curious?
Other than the bow my old boat was flat bottom and with an aluminum 1/4 cabin on it every wave sounded and felt like the end was near if you did not stand up to get your ears out of the echo chamber.

Last question for now;
The bow I know there is an 18 gal fuel tank up there but how much room can it be taking up?
Is it an option to make an access panel for it to store rods or life jackets (light things) or does the layout prevent this?

Seems there is quite a bit of information out there for the pre 80 holiday's but very little to find regarding the mid 80 models, did production drop off on them or are people hanging on to them and the time and need for reworking them has not yet come around?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

no advantage in changing prop diameters, however your limited as to what fits the OMG (v4 outboards fit too). your going to be in a 17p or 19p prop. the 3.0 wont swing much more than that

post a few more times then you can upload pics. the starcraft guys like pics

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats on the new boat. Post some pictures and we should be able to tell you if it's a V5 hull. From your avatar picture it doesn't look like it is, but it's hard to tell for sure from such a small pic. I think the V5s are pretty rare.

As far as prop diameter, I was researching this myself the other day and below is a good explanation I found on another forum. Larger diameter props get a better bite/grip on the water, but there is more drag/friction from the extra surface area of the blades.

"More diameter will improve low and mid range performance, meaning the boat should plane at a lower engine and boat speed and, thus, get better economy at such speeds and run better in rough seas, when you generally want to stay on a plane at a slower speed.

More diameter will hurt upper end performance because of the drag the extra diameter creates."

Neverquit

Seaman
Thanks for the insight on the props.
Looking locally in the online classifieds I found a 14.5 x 19 listed as hardly used.
Another ad has 2 props like new a 13 x 19 and a 12 3/4 x 21 both with the 13 spline hub that mine takes.

Theoretically they all should work but I am still trying to figure out what the boat would have come with from the factory.

I am not too cheap to buy a new prop if it comes to that.
Just thinking if I can pick up a couple to try for less than the price of a new one I may be able to better figure out what would work best for the combination I have.
And having a spare is something I always like to have on board for those "hey what was that noise" moments that can happen when fishing new waters.

Anybody out there with a 18 foot holiday or SS with the 3.0 OMC stern drive that can say what is working well for yours?

ab59

Ensign
Welcome to the forum !!!:tea: From what little pictures that you have provided it looks like you have bought a good little Holiday . As far as the V5 question I'm not sure that the V5 was still being made in the 80's but I would think the man to ask would be Waterman as he owns one and has plenty of knowledge about them . I'm reasonably sure he will chime in when he sees your post .

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard and to the Starmada :wave:

So about your Holly it's not a V5 and it is not an 80's boat either, appears to me as a mid 70's SC. The 80's ushered in the new decals, double hockey stick looking things and they removed the side rubrail as well. The sides of your Holly has laps all the way up, the V5 is smooth having no laps (there's other V5 changes as well) and the 85 SC models have either no laps or laps halfway up the sides.

I pulled the image address for this pic from your ideabook and the used the add pic icon.

fetch

This is a 1985 model SC boat.

fetch

V5 Hull.

y4mMzY4_KnKGAXfCakicD67tIKpILC46PjJ9gfKm-MxYw3Ofdrmo8mMoxd6ntCEwVO9vFlSSyybn8xBu0G3URA_clFRnf0hfp8Nvk6ZKaT2fNSGXpbYoySLxkOc7Rs0MDFnVMMGIIjBx1WhbRGakcMQm5jLVmsoMwMHk1D0_Xnt8_cUr-eRCybtWtTDIViF17uudqjEp1az4g0e07-UJd-8kQ

Neverquit

Seaman
Hi Watermann

Your descriptions and photo's did a great job of pointing out the difference between the V5 and not V5 hulls, thanks.

Regarding the year the trailer is a 1985, engine is a 1985 and from the hull number I believe the boat also is a 1985.

I am trying to attach a better side view photo of it, let me know what you think on the year if the photo posts.
There is a wood strip covering most of the decals on the side.

fetch

Attachments

• photo305062.jpg
    photo305062.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2

Neverquit

Seaman
I will try again that first photo showed up way too small to see.

Attachments

• photo305063.jpg
    photo305063.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yes that's a 85 alright! I think I got yours mixed up with bchaney's Holiday. :lol:

The side panels even can be reworked to make storage for rods but that;s the beauty of these boats, you can just about make them into anything you want.

Great looking boats from the 70s and 80s that have been taken care of are very tough to find now days. :thumb:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the insight on the props.
Looking locally in the online classifieds I found a 14.5 x 19 listed as hardly used.
Another ad has 2 props like new a 13 x 19 and a 12 3/4 x 21 both with the 13 spline hub that mine takes.

Theoretically they all should work but I am still trying to figure out what the boat would have come with from the factory.

I am not too cheap to buy a new prop if it comes to that.
Just thinking if I can pick up a couple to try for less than the price of a new one I may be able to better figure out what would work best for the combination I have.
And having a spare is something I always like to have on board for those "hey what was that noise" moments that can happen when fishing new waters.

Anybody out there with a 18 foot holiday or SS with the 3.0 OMC stern drive that can say what is working well for yours?

having owned a boat with the exact same motor and drive, I can tell you you cant spin the 21p, the boat either had 17p or 19p. if you go skiing you will need a 15p. I kept 3 props on my boat. the 15p for skiing and trolling, the 17p for tubing and general boating with more than 2 people in the boat, the 19p stainless for cruising with only 2 people in the boat