Deadrise

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, Starcraft experts, I have a question for you - or maybe more than one question:

When did Starcraft start to increase the deadrise in their aluminum hulls?

Has it changed much over the years? Will a newer boat likely have more deadrise than the earlier boats?

We had a couple of old aluminum hulls that were basically flat at the bottom of the transom and as such pounded enough to force a slow speed if there was much chop. We currently have an Alumacraft that has some deadrise and it will run through moderate chop without much of a problem.

I am interested in acquiring another Starcraft but wonder if I will find much difference between the hulls in the late 60's or early 70's vs later boats.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
This is an interesting question.
And I suspect there will be multiple answers.

This is my opinion/suspicion based on limited exposure to SC.

It depends on the model you look at.
I suspect the small fishing boats both early and late are basically flat bottom.
If you look at the larger models, some will be flat bottom and some the famous SC gull wing shaped shallow Vee.
If you look at a 1970's SS and a late 80's to 90's SS?, I think (but don't know) they are the same.

In the late 70's they came out with the deeper vee, called V5, I suspect again, a Vee 5 is a Vee 5.
If you are looking at the larger models or the smooth side model that follow the Vee 5's, I have no idea.

Looking forward to seeing more thoughts.

Dan

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
That makes sense. I did not realize the V5 referred to more of a deep V hull shape. I have been looking at photos of an older Islander that is for sale and the photos are not all that good where the transom is concerned. It did not look to me like there was much deadrise. I think your answer is very good. Thank you.

Randy

Reactions: Doh

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The deadrise in the transom of the SC boats is is what was changed in 1965 to what most were through to the recent models with some changes being made to the forward and bow deadrise. Pre-65 the transom deadrise wasn't there, it was a rounded flat bottom style.

Islanders or Chiefs will have the deadrise hulls, it's the older Holidays and runabouts that will have the flat bottoms.

The pic below is just an illustration of the terms not what SC degrees are.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WC-Deadrise-Defined-Side-WEB.png Views:	1 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	10680277

Last edited:

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good question. I just measured my 72 Holiday and it's about 19 degrees at the transom, so there's one data point for you.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Just checked a '79 catalog, the Vee 5 is stated to be 21 degrees at the transom.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made a mistake in my calculation, the correct deadrise angle on my Holiday is 13 degrees. I don't see an option to edit my post above.