!978 14' Seafarer restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !978 14' Seafarer restoration

I'm back at it with another Starcraft but this time a little tinny. I've been looking for a number of months to find a 14'r to use on the small lakes and ponds that are electric only where my 18' SS is just way too much boat. This 1978 14' Seafarer popped up locally with the original 1978 Caulkins trailer. She's going to need a full restore but the good thing is nothing was missing or mauled beyond some pole holders.

Big deal, all the end caps are there with no holes drilled in them. No extra holes in the transom either and all the wood is original. The transom cap is cracked and there's a small wowie in the gunnel that needs straightened but no dents on the sides, just the bottom.

The trailer is without rust and even has dent free fenders with 5 lug hubs.

Looking forward to the project and I'm super happy to have this little tinny in my fleet.
    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

She is a fine craft in great shape Watermann. I can feel the serenity on a beautiful morning with only the hmmm of a tm and the splash of a bait breaking the surface of the water....ahhh
    I'll be following along M8.
    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...boats/10295508

Comment

Originally posted by No-AH View Post
      She is a fine craft in great shape Watermann. I can feel the serenity on a beautiful morning with only the hmmm of a tm and the splash of a bait breaking the surface of the water....ahhh
      I'll be following along M8.
      Nice way to paint a serene picture with words No-AH Thanks for stopping by and checking out the little tinny, she should make for some good times.

It was nice that the PO's didn't do a bunch of mods or own a sawsall or drill. I'm debating on what to do with her, back to original or modify her some to make for a more comfortable fishing rig.

Comment

Uh-oh, he's at it again!

Nice score on that little SC; seems to be a nice one.
        1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
        1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
        Garage Project
        ------------
        There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

How in the heck did you find a WA boat with a trailer and the trailer has no rust?

Must have been an eastern WA boat its whole life!

Comment

Originally posted by MTboatguy View Post
            How in the heck did you find a WA boat with a trailer and the trailer has no rust?

Must have been an eastern WA boat its whole life!

yeap exactly what I was thinking, the eastside here is dry as a bone.

Comment

Nice score!! I always go for comfort.
              What ever you do, It will be another great restore..
              Just when I thought I was really learning, I continue to find out how little I really know.

Project thread
              Deck Boat https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=471173
              StarCraft https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...-18-ss-restore

Comment

Originally posted by Decker83 View Post
                Nice score!! I always go for comfort.
                What ever you do, It will be another great restore..
                Thanks for stopping by fellas and I hope to use everything I've learned so far to bring the little tinny back from it's aged condition.

She needs new everything wood and I'm sure some leak attention.

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing her comeback to the glory she was, you never know that boat might have been a dream to a young kid puttering up and down the Columbia river with dreams for the future.. Get to it WM!

Comment

Looked her over and took some more pics this morning, pretty standard fare when it comes to boats from the 70s.

The original white washed transom wood is shot but not horrible. Interesting how the transom wood is cutout around the knee brace and then there's the missing through the transom fasteners.

The seats are suffering from being out in the elements, sure hope they aren't ruined painted over mahogany, that would be sad.

Of course it wouldn't be complete without the obligatory rusted steel hardware. It's going to take some finesse to keep from breaking off that single bow eye bolt.

Comment

Nice find! I bet this small one will seem quick and easy compared to your others. I vote to build for comfort, that way you'll use it more often. Good luck!
                      1972 Starcraft Holiday 21' w/2008 Yamaha F90

Comment

It looks like you have a boat that is straight. It makes it easier when you start with something good.

Comment

So today I got tired of seeing the tiny tinny sitting there with all that rusty junk still inside it. I removed everything that had ferrous steel nuts and bolts.

I also ditched the PO replaced rotten motor pad that they decided needed to be much larger than the original, after all if small is good then big must be better.

The transom is only 1-1/4" thick so I think I'll just go back with that using 3/4" and 1/2" that I have on hand as left overs.

Found a less than helpful creature hiding under the starboard end cap. Seen below as it rappelled down the side.

Comment

So are you going to configure the boat for the electric only lakes? I know that there are electric outboards available but they're really pricey!
                            1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
                            1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
                            Garage Project
                            ------------
                            There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

I have a transom mount electric that came with the boat but I'm considering making a small bow deck for a bow mounted motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X