StarCraft super sport question

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I have a question regarding the front storage in the bow section of my 16 foot super sport.

Can I assume the sheet metal walls that frame off the storage are structural? I would like to install a pair of deep cycle batteries upfront for a 24v trolling motor. One on each side. I haven’t removed the seating boards to see if there’s enough room inside....hoping

The reason I’m hoping there’s enough space is because I’d like to leave the V section open as it came from the factory, keeping the cushion seating up front and build a drop in deck for raised pedestal seating /bow mount troller operation on solo or all fishing outings.

Open to suggestions on where else I could put batteries If there’s a better spot. I don’t want them at the back because I already have gas cans and starting battery back there. Getting pretty heavy

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe the walls on bow seats are only structural in terms of weight on the seat, not structural to the hull. I plan on doing the same thing in my boat. The batteries are generally recommended you place them as far aft as possible where this isn't as much pounding of the hull that damage typical deep cycle marine batteries. There are special marine batteries that can take the pounding but they are 2-3 times the cost of a normal deep cycle battery. I plan on placing some 2" specialized rubberized foam pads underneath the battery boxes to absorb as much of the sharp shock from the hull pounding.

You could cut an opening in the front part of the front wall of the bow seat then reinforce the top of the opening with a piece of angle aluminum for additional structural support.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I plan on doing the same thing in my boat. The batteries are generally recommended you place them as far aft as possible where this isn't as much pounding of the hull that damage typical deep cycle marine batteries. There are special marine batteries that can take the pounding but they are 2-3 times the cost of a normal deep cycle battery.

I am doing the same thing. I am placing both my marine batteries in the front, just in front of the two consoles. I like the idea of using rubber matting underneath to absorb some of the shock. I would love to see some pictures.

I might be able to post some picture later tonight. I plan on heading out and doing a mock up so I can visualize the space I have to work with.