Bought some new tin tonight.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
From another 16' SS thread, it looks like it could be two sheets. If I could find the OP, I would ask. :lol:

20140312_114800_zpsbb0d0f7c.jpg

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
congrads on the go ahead sig, and that is a prettu tower of power ya got, i am looking forward to following along

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
congrads on the go ahead sig, and that is a prettu tower of power ya got, i am looking forward to following along

I do love the old Merc motors look, this 85 is an inline 4, the 6's reserve the tower of power moniker.

fetch

SigSaurP229

Commander
Soo the forum still has issues I see.

Anyways.

This is basically going 100% back original anything that can be reused is going to be reused. I am going to be as minimally invasive as possible (for installing a deck)

Fast and functional and cheap is the goal.

The only things I hate about the boat are the cheasy wood grain vinyl wrap and the paint is flat worn out.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap deck covering that is not carpet?

I have always preferred the look of vintage merc over vintage omc. I prefer working on an OMC merc is a little more finicky. But more efficient Power to weight ratio. Had found an OMC for a little more but it was UGLY. And unknown history

Ps Thanks for the reminder GA the 16 is one piece the 18 is two.

Ohh can anyone guide me on how to update the sig line and profile pic

GA_Boater

Edit your sig;

Hover your Username in the upper right, click on Edit Profile, click Account under Forum and about halfway down is Edit Post Signature by Conversation Detail Options.

If you sig is too big Sig, let one of us know and we should be able to fix it behind down in the basement..

SigSaurP229

Commander
I may have to try it on my laptop doesn't seem to care for phone. The 2.0 mb thing is throwing me off as well are we still using photobucket or flickr

GA_Boater

PB went the way of the dodo when they turned it into a pay service.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Well we know the drill seller states deck and transom are good.

Started with the tear out I am just hoping that I can find a way to get a template on the bow piece. I know I am thinking about 15 steps down the road but still.

Attachments

• photo297835.jpg
    photo297835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo297836.jpg
    photo297836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah it's always a safe bet to assume the decking and transom are garbage but so many I see here and on FB refuse to accept that as being a given.

SigSaurP229

Commander
I assumed it was rotten when purchased. I figured anything else was dumb luck. I could probably get away with just a deck but thats not my style.

She is getting a transom, deck, new side bolsters seat bases and dashes. That is the bare minimum. This one is going to be extremely basic.

I am 50/50 on whether or not she is getting painted

SigSaurP229

Commander
Stripped and deck is coming out. The first time ever I am going to have templates. At least on the two most difficult cuts. The bow and second piece. I am 100% certain that this was the factory floor. I am even more 100% certain how disappointed i am that it was never factory sealed, and that it is only 7/16". No wonder all these years I have had so much difficulty lining things up. 5/8 should be a minimum for decking. Especially decking that is structure. I dont think this boat was abused or left in the rain to rot, I genuinely think this is on starcraft using substandard materials.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I agree that not sealing the plywood is substandard, but on the other hand, most of the boats we are rebuilding are 25+ years old. So I'm assuming with good care my sealed transom and the deck covered in vinyl should make my boat last probably longer than I will. So are we overdoing it on these rebuilds? I would like to think not, I prefer to make things last.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What we consider substandard these days is not what was considered substandard 30 and 40 years ago, especially in mass production products. Starcraft has turned out a heck of a lot of boats over the years and a good many of them lasted a long time and are still going strong. That said, we learn new things and have new products every single year that will lengthen the time that something will last that we didn't have back then. How many of us 40 years ago would think we could drive a car over 400K miles and I have an Explorer that has 401,201 miles on it and I have rebuilt the engine a couple of times, first time at a bit over 200K and now I need to put new timing chains in it.

40 years ago, it was amazing to get 100K out of a car...

Materials available to us now a days are so much better than they used to be.

Last edited: