18' offshore remodel

sea-n-stars

Cadet

this is the transom removal. I also removed the ledge/shelf piece under the transom as per watermans suggestion. I'm also going to remove the knee brace and replace the corner brace brackets with new angle pieces.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
From tear down to clean up and on to hull repairs.

sea-n-stars

Cadet

spent my snow day removing more of the braces to thoroughly clean all the surfaces. the corrosion is horrible.

sea-n-stars

Cadet

I removed the knee brace and found this big pile of dirt. there's also another little corrosion hole. I'm glad I pulled it out.I'd hate to put it all together just to find this mystery leak in the absolute worst spot.

Watermann

You've sure got your work cut out for you on the clean up. Oh and that smell of dirty socks corrosion has. :ambivalence:

Watermann

FB advice is dicey when you can't know who is who and what they've done. It's also gone and not a running record of how things got done for the future. I get it, with FB it's all about the instant gratification.

Anyway...
The transom skin is to keep the water out of the boat so I would skin the pitting and put an AL plate on the outside like I did on my SS. No it won't add any amazing things, neither will Starboard but it will keep the water on the outside.

I used .100 5052 AL, 3M 5200 and besides clamps that's all that's needed after cutting it to shape.

y4mYQZYRS5Cx6BJNXfgnLHiurgYiUY6uiCtJTQtfLfWKqhSdLxC2AYEQLS-Cy5nGq10Wo2YrkM9U9vf6klAkmoYKP2V2k7LChdVCa_kf5gEuWUiKeTb5dx8hZdEpEJhcDyuQHxKeHFtJ212lcbW-talzivQaKUqVS8rs1AJlVJstuifg5Q6unj8uuCXS_IYxP76T-I1SCUX1tkrOJFJ8GQZyQ

sea-n-stars

Cadet
I like that! and as far as fb I think I've run my course with it. I like the 2 groups im in about boats but that's about it.
did you add the drain at the bottom of the v ? mines offset .

Watermann

I like that! and as far as fb I think I've run my course with it. I like the 2 groups im in about boats but that's about it.
did you add the drain at the bottom of the v ? mines offset .

The models with the single centered knee brace usually have the offset bilge drain. The V5 has double braces so the drain is in the center as is my Chief that's an I/O.

Yeah same here with FB, I'm tired of the pointless blather. At least here when we debate you know who's walked the walk and they're not just arguing for the sake of argument.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
With a knee brace in the center like yours and mine, with a drain is behind the brace water really doesn't have a clear path to drain. Any dirt or grunge under the deck will plug the minute limber holes. You will get a collection of crud under the deck, it's unavoidable.

Last edited:

sea-n-stars

Cadet

fresh out of the sand blaster. looks like I need to find a welder to fix the cracks. I didn't seem them when it was painted.

sea-n-stars

Cadet
is there a glue to bond the transom wood to the aluminum skin of the stern? or is it just bolts?

Decker83

Commander
Most everyone here does not use any type of glue to bond the aluminum to the transom.. Some will paint the inside aluminum of the transom to help prevent corrosion.

Watermann

No you don't bond the AL to the wood transom, just use 5200 on all the screws and bolts to seal them.