California Chieftain Repair and Resto 1974 18'

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the comments! Making progress everyday even if it's not much. Getting all the paint off around the rivets inside has been a chore. Pretty sure there was an epoxy primer layed down on the inside that the stripper doesn't readily penetrate. Scrubbing away with pressure washer and brush is working but slow.

Thanks for the input on the bondo Watermann. Planning on using marine-tex for the rest of my filling projects like the transom.

20180402_194415.jpg20180402_194624.jpg20180402_194643_003.jpg20180402_194737.jpg

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
It's been a few months since I posted so thought I'd provide an update on the progress. Inside has been painted, transom installed, bow supports replaced, all the excess holes patched over and filled and I am about ready to call it finished before floors and fun stuff go back in. Oh yeah, gluvit and coat-it have been laid on all the seems and rivets. Filled the hull with water and only had a few small drips that I took care of.

Had a group together and rolled her over on to some saw horses and rails under the gunwales. Last week has been nothing but sanding and prepping for paint which arrived yesterday. With a little luck (read no other obligations) I will be spreading liquid money on the hull come Friday.

Looks like there are some other great resto's started on this site and some great advice being shared. I look forward to some help once I get back into the technical stuff.

Happy Boating,
Dylan.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah nice work on the old hull, she'll be like new once again, keep up the good work :thumb:

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Well i'd call myself awful jealous of anybody with a dialed in spray rig right about now, but all in all she is turning out great! Used sm-1000 Revoltion from bottompaintstore on the bottom and I am getting the last couple coats of wetedge on the side. For anybody using totalboat wet edge paints, if you think you put it on thin enough, roll it on even thinner. It will run, sag, and never ever dry if put on too heavy. Found out the hard way on first coat. Left for a long weekend, came back and could still scrape it off with my finger. Luckily I figured out the right technique a quarter of the way down one side so I didn't have to scrape too much off.

I've gone from rolling and tipping to just rolling with a high density foam hot dog roller. It is much faster and smoothes out great. I found even with cool temps and thinned to the max recommended 10% I couldn't get it to level out on overlaps while tipping with a brush. Perhaps I wasnt working fast enough but just the roller keeps it nice, thin , and smooth.

A couple more coats and I'll flip her back and finish it up. Dare I say a couple more weeks till a splash...

Watermann

Oh man you guys who paint outside, I have to tip my hat to you for your ability not to loose it completely. :yo:

Paint looks great from here! :thumb:

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Only inside option is the cabinet shop in the back. One sneeze in there and it would be all over for a fresh coat of paint. Im having good luck with the wind and bugs outside for now.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
just have to get it on and dry before guy next door fires up his lawn mower:)

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Closing in on the end. Biggest hurdle now is getting windshield fit and remounting everything including electronics. Also have to pony up some more money for new battery. Had to install new to me trim unit on the 90hp yamaha but the motor is ready to go on too.

Since last post: Shortened and re-installed splashwell, mounted 28 gallon belly tank, laid in pink foam floatation, put in new decking and covered in nautolex, re-installed cuddy cabin seats, painted top, fit cuddy cabin walls, splashwell drain tubes in transom, new side rub rails and painted caps. For those wondering, wefco rubber 0101g is perfect fit for the original aluminum channels.

20180828_193113.jpg20180828_193055.jpg

Watermann

Nice work, she's coming along nicely. :thumb: Shouldn't be long now before you get that old gal splashed.

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Finally got her splashed! Backing away from the dock and easing the throttle forward was an awesome feeling and accomplishment today.

The Chief runs great with the 90hp. Had 4 people in the boat and she readily jumps on plane and goes as fast as would ever be needed. Few more small things on the check list left to mark off but nothing that can keep her off the water now. Thanks for the help guys!

20180131_165815.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537753123444.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537753123444.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180922_130600.jpg
    20180922_130600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Always fun to see one back to what it should be and get its first bath, congrats on the splash!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats!! She's a beauty!

fetch

Watermann

The old Chief looks great, thanks for giving her a second chance!