California Chieftain Repair and Resto 1974 18'

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Dylan,

it's tedious but I had great success cleaning up haze and film from paint by using a thin layer of stripper and scrubbing with a stiff bristle nylon brush and then wiping with a fresh paper towel. If you don't wipe right after the scrub it will dry up on you and leave the film behind.

Way to stick with it!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I did my paint stripper work outside and I used a 3M scrub pad with a handle with more stripper, then rinsed with water from the pressure washer.

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like I've been letting it sit too long and it gets re-stuck. I'll give these methods a shot this evening.

Thanks for the help.

Decker83

Commander
Paint stripping is just a lot of work..:ballchain: I used stainless steel wire cup brush on the bottom where I was going to paint.
On the sides of the hull I used brass bristle brushes and nylon brushes and whatever else I could find that did not scratch the hull to much..
I think WM and Nrf414 and BWR did good jobs on theirs and have it worked out. Just keep on keeping on..:becky:

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As for paint stripper, I tried quite a few FWIW and Rustoleum Aircraft remover worked best for me. Temp is also important as previously stated. Citristrip worked well. 3m Safest Stripper did not work. Maybe as a paper weight. 😑 Klean Strip did not work well either but I did not try their aircraft formula. 3 gallons is about right. Let the stripper do the work. And brushes work well around rivet heads and to clean up primer haze.

Yeah I was wondering about Rustoleum, as it is also considerably cheaper than Kleen Strip... $25 vs. $35 a gallon.

shopping

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Renderwurx the Rusto was my favorite and worked best. Consistency holds pretty well to vertical surface also.

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Agreed. I got the rusto online through walmart. Seems to stick better to surfaces and works a little better than kleen strip even if the temperatures aren't ideal.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Mine had at least 3 layers of nasty paint plus the alodine primer. I did not try the Kleen Strip adhesive remover just the paint stripper.

crankbait cowboy looks like it's doing a fine job!! Next one I'm doing the stripper+pressure washer before it gets too cold outside method. Seems like a lot less elbow grease lol

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Going to give this pressure washer/stripper combo a shot. Looks effective and I've only got so many razor blades for now.

Thanks for the tips and pics!

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Strippin paint, drilling out rivets, and getting prepped for some reconstruction. Ended up removing 2 supports in the starboard bow responsible for holding the bow in shape. Compared to the port side, starboard was flexed inboard about an inch plus. Gotta believe this was a result from whatever the PO had hit on the port bow rub rail which must have flexed everything a bit. Very carefully I was able to press and pound it back into shape. No cracking or signs of fatigue in the aluminum so all is well. I'll post some pictures after I get the supports back in.

Also fooled around painting some rub rail caps. Ended up using rustoleum self etch primer and metallic silver paint. It looks good but maybe a little glittery, not quite polished aluminum. Any recommendations for product you all have found success with?

Thanks,

-Dylan

- 20180326_194934.jpg20180326_202955.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Any recommendations for product you all have found success with?

Thanks,

-Dylan

Yeah, sourcing non-corroded (inland) ones from a fellow iboats member :lol:.

I think yours turned-out great!

Watermann

If the paint is leafing type then give them another coat of paint and let it cure good, it'll dull down but if not you can rub it down with a soft rag and that should do it.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
You are lucky to have end caps that could be salvaged. Mine were not salvagable and the corroded parts had eaten into the hull. the boat had never been in salt water as far as I can tell. I had to find rerplacements that sort of worked, but they are stainless, so should outlast me. Yours look great.

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
There was some pitting in mine after stripping off the numerous coats of paint. I put a thin coat of bondo over them then sanded down flush. Smooth enough for what I needed.

Had a great day stripping paint with some nice weather. Found a good groove using stripper then power washer. Took a couple rounds to get past the layers. Followed up quickly with a scotch pad with some stripper on it and I was rolling right along. Scotch pad does a nice job getting any film off and leaving a nice clean surface. Spirits are high!

-Dylan
20180327_193914.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Looking good Dylan!! I love the look of bare aluminum.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice work Dylan! You planning on a bare aluminum finish or are you repainting?

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Asking the tough questions there. It's in my mental plan to paint it but the more paint I take off the more I like it. The bottom will get sealed up and painted but I'm still debating on the sides.

Watermann

Stripping paint is a huge chore but part of the process that I believe has to be done for a proper paint job.

So you used auto body filler? I have to say no restos I know of have used it on their boats imperfections. Most stick to marine tex as a filler, very strong and it's not porous like bondo which will absorb water if exposed and fail

Decker83

Commander
Looks like your make some headway on the paint stripping.. Looking good..