The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

budski

Lieutenant Commander
We had a merc 125 on a 18 V5 went 51 mph with one person so that motor should make your v5 fly

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Robust is definitely the word to describe that trailer! Good stuff with the Merc too. :eagerness:

You gonna give the glasser the bulldozer treatment? :lol:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice upgrade Agua! :thumb:

You put so much into getting that ToP into tip-ToP shape!

It should fetch ToP dollar (I'm glad that you're not closer...temptation would be too much to bear! )

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
This 115 Merc is an inline 4 cyl, so it should do better on fuel consumption over the older thirsty six, it does have 4 carbs over the six's 3 so we'll see. Speed isn't really a concern for me for the fishing SS but 40 or just over would be fine. She's heavy compared to the standard SS build so I'm not really expecting an increased top end.

Last spring I had to repair the trailer where the tongue attaches as a crack formed that I had welded up. I'm hoping the galvanized trailer will be long enough and for sure I'll need to add a few feet of tongue and a swing away to it too.

Oh yeah forgot to mention I will be finding a new home for the 140 TOP.

Last edited:

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Cool, I didn't know they even had a in-line 4 again.
Here is a post from another boating site.
It sounds like a good match for your boat.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The 115/125 HP Mercury "Classic Carbureted Two-Stroke" outboard is a 113 cubic-inch displacement in-line 4-cylinder engine.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]It uses the same bore and stroke as the 90-HP, 3-cylinder engine. It weighs about 45-lbs more than the 90-HP, has a taller cowling, and is otherwise quite similar. There are two significant differences, however.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The 115/125 engine is designed to run only on two cylinders at lower speeds, and shifts to four cylinder operation when the crankshaft speed gets above about 1800 RPM. The engine will be running on just two cylinders at idle or trolling speeds, so it may not be quite as smooth as one would anticipate. I really don't know precisely how it idles; I don't have one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The low speed operation on only two cylinders probably saves gasoline if you are doing a lot of fishing or trolling.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The shift from 2-cylinder to 4-cylinder operation is accomplished in a rather crafty manner, and does not rely on anything exotic. The two cylinders that are cut off are fed with carburetors that do not have idle jets. At low speeds the venturi effect does not have enough force to pull fuel from the high-speed jet, so those cylinders do not get fuel. Once the engine spins up to higher speeds these cylinders come alive and start getting fuel. The engine shifts from 2-cylinder to 4-cylinder operation. I believe that when this happens you could say it really "kicks in."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The other difference from the 90-HP 3-cylinder engine is that the 115/125 HP engine has a lower maximum speed. Mercury recommends holding the wide open throttle (WOT) speed to 5250 RPM maximum. This may be in part to the inherent in-line 4-cylinder design. My understanding of engine design is limited, but I believe that there are certain problems in vibration with any in-line 4-cylinder engine. To counteract these vibrations some engines employ balancing weights on the crankshaft. I do not know for certain if the 115/125 has or does not have these weights, but inasmuch as they are not mentioned and the engine has a rather low maximum speed, my inference is that these models to not have balancing weights on the crankshaft. Or, if they do, it is still advised not to run the engine over 5250. You could conclude that perhaps there are balancing weights and they are the reason not to rev the engine too high![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]As for the general reputation of this engine, I will add this anecdotal data:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]My local Mercury dealership is owned (in partnership) by a fellow who began in the marine business as a mechanic. I mention this so that when later I tell you that "my dealer said..." you understand that this dealer did not get into the marine engine business after his coin-operated laundry business failed, or his bowling center burned down. This dealership is owned by a guy who is also an experienced outboard mechanic and has all the Mercury "master mechanic ratings."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]I have been talking with him lately about buying some engines, and I have been leaning toward buying a pair of the 90-HP Mercury "classics." He keeps trying to talk me into the 115-HP versions. He says they are very good engines and would be a real "rocket ship" on my boat. And his current master mechanic out in the shop agrees. He likes them, too.[/FONT]

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Waterman, that engine looks like new in the pics, great find!

Watermann

Waterman, that engine looks like new in the pics, great find!

Believe me the Merc even looks better in person and he has a new unused prop for it as well. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Watermann

Got the heavy rotten scow home without incident.

What people do... A homemade fin thingy to help lift that heavy stern up.

y4milUh1GXfHmeOOPAfhjBzSKC-ERYIu04lWhq7XnO0Gp5T0h8Hh8yNnBeKMa5gctsTfcstRoaP_G_XhVfONi-MSyqOYWQQaDG7s5DpKAdg4S9o25gycWYzS83SJPyFSrRMr_yZqJS0ldtnc0_63IeZ9WuWEju0DmgsMnO7P8d8_XJPpnJhjtKgVoawf3OlmP9hkjqCGZ-w7AOzy9i8HedcxQ

That looks better... but I have 6 holes to repair in the AV plate now :facepalm:

y4me7Q9NiI2paNZ8eIUtl791S2DcZkvj2yzaYMhnehIKbwNvskE5q5cZl_4xXjl4LAgSQfE19bqjC-vDcF2hbVlj8Fv5DOhH5RXJ3Iq-44H9QAiDuUkW6Rtqnc4yfUIAUak2U72C11KN9glCsOASnguEVeWrrpnZEOdfPPRYz1BORRc-_JSoxxJrXiiSbGjAEzE2k3HRC0WBA17OVLIQAbWkQ

So when the bolt on job doesn't work out and it leaks you just smear some goop all over right? It even helps to plug holes that don't go through the transom :lol:

y4muGELLNQLdOOtJUKVGe_lRPBbq1ftRAPJWKloGf-NhEOeuS4CcmX_IV3kcWkGH1-Yr8_dvSKC_SJ36TUUnv3uuGD7ag3kC26vyh1YDSaeg0BdNgJZAAz_Hr68UD451zrMmxj-NTg_TL_GXjBm7U8TriFwrZ0jaOWl6nD_M6Rp9AF63OZMZVwFw_K00KKr0LWyYQD05PESOtnwWRDPA3Mi2Q

Good weather today so maybe I'll get the motor off and on a stand in the garage for the winter.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yikes, glad that fin didn't do any damage to the lower unit.

Motor should be nice once you clean off all that goo :joyous:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
What a mess that PO made! :eek:

Glad that you got it home where it will be treated right. :encouragement:

Watermann

Motor is off and on the stand with only one issue, the trim pump is froze up and will need to be replaced.Got the controls out too and some of the parts and pieces spoken for by a buddy who is doing a restore on his old rotten glasser.

It took a whole 4 minutes with a post in the Inline Six closed FB group to find a buyer in Spokane for the Merc TOP.

DB electrical has new trim pumps for 116 bux and free shipping so...

Man this old thing is rotten to the core but it now looks like what it's worth... a trip to the landfill!

y4mM2ZxduIoc35wWegWYOKLX-v00xAjRI7Hv3Nlrg6zZd4QNeAl2XnQBYXfDHXGGcjfz8gTpBAOX3E0pYUjOez7kPiWQw5QPy3jUSiRRMk5y5NM5HKBUXUw2fJ5TL5Ccq3-VjRMt_U-7EDVAQIV0936SETgIBICAJNka_xKCsjrgFYXXowXFMlk_HoS4gtVDIZ1tJhMAP0VLh_pVf2c3QFmVA

ab59

Ensign
Looks pretty dang good to me . when you going to fire it Up?? Is the trailer in as good of shape as it looked ? I take it you don[t like Dole Finns for lift .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a couple of items on the back of the rotten one I see I would not mind having!

:D

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
What is the age of the glass boat? Wondering how/why a nice motor is on that boat.

Watermann

Looks pretty dang good to me . when you going to fire it Up?? Is the trailer in as good of shape as it looked ? I take it you don[t like Dole Finns for lift .

I have to clean the motor up, the 4 carbs and the oil tank has unknown type/age of 2 stroke oil that needs to go. I also will replace the water pump and probably some new spark plugs before starting.

Those fin things are a horrible way to go about trying to correct issues with your boat.

What is the age of the glass boat? Wondering how/why a nice motor is on that boat.

Mid 80's model bow rider, I imagine the original motor puked so the newer Merc was put on.

Watermann

Pulled the gear oil drain plug on the lower unit and found it's not been regularly changed. I know, not a huge shock to me either. Thick stinky coal black goo drizzled out. Looks like a couple oil changes are going to be needed to get that gear case running in clean oil once again. At least the magnet only had fuzzies on it and no chunks.

Got some parts OTW, a water pump kit anyway for now as I can imagine it's nothing but crystallized rubber.

y4mv-9I0ruAfYysY5yc5IB25KQn6KnjoURXv-XknnUPwcPOBhJCi6umaWjvdtx9JdJQ95dXuLwhgRt-9Z_FqdVkTulSLpLDUb7O0_LT9ia0FnW0vMcEyiTpkAlCIredn7a0-fmYOhBtPNM9YT9_I-LCfdNlTsO8CuDzqzp4NDZWx7u5z_DzBZrHPiiHConn503z4bm9u-qw9Q9vZxSUiEI9gQ

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is pretty dark but at least there's no water in it. Glad you rescued that motor from the PO! Some people just don't take care of things.