1979 Skeeter Wrangler Sport w/ 98' Johnson 150 HP

BB71

Cadet
I am new to the boards, but I think since this is the proper place to post.

A close friend has a 1979 Skeeter 16' with new carpet, upholstery, cover, batteries, fresh tune-up on a 98 model Johnson Fast Strike 150 HP outboard, bearing buddies on single axle trailer, and has been garage kept. All of this was done 2 years ago and the boat hasn't been moved. He said if we wanted to take it to play in and see how much we were going to use a boat he would sell it to me for $2,400. I checked the compression in all 6 cyl and it ranges from 86-92lbs. It has a new power block in it, started right up, and everything is functional, even the trim control from the front panel, trolling motor, and 12/24volt selector switch all work. The anode shows that the motor has been run in saltwater but for how long and to what extent, we have no idea.

My concern is the low compression. It should be in the high 90s low 100s... I am going to take the plugs out and spray some PB Blaster in each cylinder with the motor trimmed up as far as possible and let is soak for a day or so to ensure there are no stuck rings. Trim the motor back down after a day or so and turn the engine over to blow out the excess penetrating oil. If this does not change my compression readings is there anything else someone may suggest that will assist in the increase of compression.

Also, is this boat worth the $2,400 they are asking. I know I have seen others on here $3-$4,000 dollars and rough. This boat presents itself well with the new upholstery and carpet, new bilge pump, new pumps for the two rear live wells, trailer boards are all new with new carpet on them, a new battery, SS prop, new cover (still in box), new power block, new hot foot, new adjustable hydraulic risers for the pedestal seats, the gel coat is in good shape, and he is giving me a few life jackets, a throw cushion and a few other odds and ends with it.

I am open to suggestions and opinions on this one...

Thanks!

Bubbas52

Recruit
Re: 1979 Skeeter Wrangler Sport w/ 98' Johnson 150 HP

I owened a Wrangler The price is right if the boat is in good condition. Far as the motor goes the Fast strike motor is a Low compression Engine it should be from 90 to 100 pounds of compression per cly.If you have a low 1 you can go to a yamaha shop and get some combustion chamber cleaner and put that in the cylinder in question. Make sure the piston is as close to the head where you can soak it check all of them and soak all of them. If the compression picks up you will need to buy you some ring free. You can also buy this at the Yamaha Shop read the instructions and put this in your gas this will clean and free any stuck rings and also cleans your fuel system. When you use the ring free make sure the first tank has super not reg. gas. I hope this helps you Later

BB71

Cadet
Re: 1979 Skeeter Wrangler Sport w/ 98' Johnson 150 HP

Thanks, Bubba