1990 Hampton 22 hull leak

guyrichter

Cadet
Hull leaks! The hull leaks under the rub rail. I removed the upholstery from the v-birth walls and determined the leak is all along the seam where the upper hull is attached to the lower hull (right behind the rub rail). The rail is hard rubber and difficult to remove. I've caulked the outside, but water still finds a way to leak thru that seam during a rain. It occurs mostly within 4-6 feet of the bow, along both sides. The water streaks are obvious on the v-birth walls. It's hard to describe, but the rub rail design has two "ears" that are attached top and bottom with a metal strip around the entire boat. The rubber rail breaks at the middle of the transom. I took it apart there to see what it looks like, and it seems to be disigned so that water cannot find it's way to the fiberglass seam behind it. But it does! Very frustrating for a long time. Can anybody help? I've tried caulk on all seams from the outside, but may have to pull the rub rail out and put caulk in there (although that's not the intended design).

I'm new to forums, and don't know much about sending or receiving or threads. So bear with me.

Thanks.
Guy in Colorado.

rbyham

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 Hampton 22 hull leak

Did you ever get this fixed? I just bought a 1990 220 with possibly same issue.