Another comparo sought

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
My search for just the right vessel continues . . . and the more I learn the more difficult becomes the decisions.:confused: Currently under consideration:

1. 1996 Sea Ray 175 bowrider, the one with the bench seat and captain chairs, excellent condition, 4.3 l. Mercruiser. Asking $6,900.

2. 1988 Chapparal 18-ft bowrider, 3 l. Mercruiser. Asking $4,995.

Trailer for each.

I hear so many great things about the Chapparal rep. Both are available for sea trial. If they each represent equal value considering relative age, I would opt for the less costly Chappy. Another important consideration: it seems the Chapparal is somewhat lighter than the Sea Ray which makes towing with out current vehicle more realistic.

If the 3 l Merc gets better mileage than the more impressive 4.3 version, that is a benefit as well. For the sake of discussion at this point I am assuming the Chappy is in good condition. I know it has been stored inside at least for the past 2 years but I have not seen it in person.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1988-Chapparal-Bowrider-18-ft-Inboard-w-Trailer-W0QQAdIdZ290529114

Edit: The Chappy chap (on the phone) finishes off our discussion with "the price is very flexible . . . "
I won't hear that kind of talk from the 4 Winns dealer who is selling the Sea Ray! :)

How Low Can I GO??:p

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another comparo sought

Turns out the seller thought that 178 on the hull meant the boat was 17 ft 8 inches . . . a not unreasonable assumption I suppose. However, the hull was shiny and that's what matters, hmm? :) No canvas as it (the canvas) was stolen so I have to explore the cost of new canvas. The good things: the 178 is 200 lbs lighter than the 187 at 2K lbs empty, getting closer to the Subaru's towing limit, and the 3.0 l. 130 hp motor should be well suited to this smaller craft.

The boat looks really good, inside and out. Cosmetically it has been well taken care of over the past 23 years and that bodes well for the motor maintenance I believe. I will still insist on a wet run (it is still on the EZ Loader and has not been de-winterized) but it feels "right" this time. Anyway, nice bright new wine-coloured canvas will look pretty sharp!

I'm thinking of going in at $3,300.