I pour sugar in my gas tank to keep the ethanol from freezing

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I pour sugar in my gas tank to keep the ethanol from freezing during winter

sugar.jpg

just sayin.....

Saw it on another forum and thought we need a bit of levity here..... and for all you that do not know better, ethanol doesnt freeze, and sugar in the fuel system is bad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Doesn't this result in taffy out the tailpipe? Add a little salt and you can have saltwater taffy. LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ooh......salt water taffy......:pound:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The trick is wrapping the taffy in the wax paper with the twists on the ends. Not quite perfected and it leads to a mess in the driveway. The blob of taffy is is just too big to recycle through the gas cap. :laugh:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay sugar in the gas tank...got it...that sounds sweet! :facepalm:

thumpar

Admiral
I thought we switched to high fructose corn syrup a few years ago.

oldjeep

Admiral
But you can make ethanol from sugar, so maybe his tank was only half full?

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sweet! I think it should really quiet down an outboard. You'll be in stealth mode shortly except for any verbal outburst.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
sure it will, if it gets cold enough - maybe in Wisconsin?

Maybe not freeze, but it certainly can be a pain to start a vehicle at -40 when running ethanol. Stuff is hard to ignite at low temps.

That reminds me of some facebook 'advice' of pouring antifreeze into the brake master cylinder reservoir to keep the brakes from freezing. And yes, it has been done apparently.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe not freeze, but it certainly can be a pain to start a vehicle at -40 when running ethanol. Stuff is hard to ignite at low temps.

That reminds me of some facebook 'advice' of pouring antifreeze into the brake master cylinder reservoir to keep the brakes from freezing. And yes, it has been done apparently.

Antifreeze in a brake system will work...for a while. But then comes the problems. :facepalm:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When I was a youth while working as a flunky in the local Chevy garage a gandy dancer brought in his car with brake problems. He ran out of brake fluid so he poured in some kerosine to get by. The mechanic asked him if he had some whiskey along. His reply was, "Yes" The mechanic said that he should have used that instead.

He got a completely new brake system installed except for the steel lines that were flushed thoroughly.

If you have to store your trailer in the cold, make sure you let all the summer air out of the tires before filling with winter air. And vice versa? winter air is super bad for your tires in the heat of summer.