06" Highlander Hybrid Making Whining Noise.

mscher

Lieutenant
134K miles. Started a little while ago, as a very low whine.

Now it has gotten much louder. I was panicking as I thought maybe an electric motor was going, but now I notice, that if I veer the vehicle to the right slightly, the whine stops completely. Veering left makes no difference.

Before I take it in to the dealer (and take out a second mortgage to repair it), just wonder if it might be a drive shaft, of if anyone has heard of something like this with any Highlander. I'd rather replace something myself, if it's do-able.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 06" Highlander Hybrid Making Whining Noise.

My '06 Highlander Hybrid (AWD) at 145K has not had that problem. Sounds like a differential issue to me.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Possible you have a hub bearing starting to go. Swaying left and right puts a different load on the outside and inside of the bearing.
Never seen a driveshaft go yet and some have been almost 200k. Driveshaft would not change tone by what your describing.definately get it checked. They can get real bad in a hurry.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I had a whine which changed during a turn of the wheel I'd first look at the belt which feeds the power steering pump and the fluid level. Not to dismiss other recommendations as they may certainly be on the money, lets rule out some more likely things first. In all my vehicles I've never had a failed hub and one of my vehicles is a 1979 jeep which has seen its fair share of ice, salt, snow and off road. Noises are so subjective anyway- my wife has come in a said the car is making a weird noise at turn. I asked if it was a scraping noise like metal on metal but she said no its a grinding noise...it turned out to be a brake pad wear indicator on one side only and which only happened during a turn.

Check your fluid and check the belts. Go to a parking lot have someone else drive some slow tight turns while you stand outside and listen for the source of the noise - where does it come from and when does it occur? Jack up one wheel at a time and turn the wheel by hand and listen for noise and feel for resistance - have a helper turn the steering wheel left and right and keep turning the road wheel listening for it getting worse or better. It could be that the hub is failing only when load is on it but I'd bet the hub is fine and its something else.

I've heard u-joints make funny noises under turn but usually more of a creak than a whine. To rule out a u-joint or driveshaft completely put the car in neutral and roll down a hill (somewhere safe) while turning back and forth to recreate the noise. Take video of it and post it here or on youtube so we can listen to the sound.

At the very least you should be able to narrow this down to a component or area which will give you some insight as to where/how to make the repair at the lowest cost possible.