Expy Wheel Squeal

lncoop

Vice Admiral
My 2005 Expedition 4x4 just this side of 90k miles has developed a squeal. I'm almost positive it's in the front driver side wheel, and it only occurs when I turn left. Here's what happens. I turn hard left to go up the ramp and just before I straighten out it starts. It increases in speed along with the vehicle (hopefully that makes sense) up to fifteen mph or so then quiets back down at speeds above that. In retrospect I realize I heard it a couple months ago but didn't know it was my truck, and it went away before I put two and two together. I didn't hear it any more until yesterday (when driving in the parking deck with my window down). I guess it's possible I would have the same symptom on the curb side when turning hard right as I haven't had occasion to try that yet. So, what do it be? Wear indicator scraping the rotor perhaps? Flux capacitor? Mice in the front end?:confused:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Expy Wheel Squeal

Mosy likely it is the flux capacitor. Could be many things, CV joint, brake indicator, low power steering fluid, bearing, etc. When this happens to me I take it in and let a dealer tell me what it is then I fix it myself. Can cost a few bucks for the info though, but worth it to me. I don't like funny noises in my front end and steering stuff. Since it changes with speed it must be a moving part.

oldjeep

Admiral

My guess would be the unit bearing. CV joints don't squeal, they clunk. Brake indicator should not care if you are turning unless your wheel lugs are loose.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe the torque induction valve is on it's way out?:p (If you replace this remember it's a left hand thread.):D

Check the tabs (wear indicator) though from your discription I don't think it's the pads. Power steering fluid /or belts sounds more likely. When all else fails, turn up the stereo.:)
Good luck.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

With the squealing issue I would start with the power steering fluid (is it low or smell burnt?) then the belt, could it be slipping? (hows the tension and when was the last time it was changed)
And last I would look at the U-joint lots of play and worn out or never greased (is it even got a zirk to grease or is it sealed?

captmello

Captain

My 2005 f150 had a bad wheel bearing a while back. It made the same grinding noise and had me confused. Sure enough, bearing. Not cheap, btw...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Man I hope it's not the TIV! That's the only thing worse than the flux capacitor!:facepalm: I'm certain it's not power steering related. The noise is more of a metallic squeal and is almost definitely coming from the wheel area. It's not that loud and it disappears at speeds above fifteen mph or so.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My 2005 f150 had a bad wheel bearing a while back. It made the same grinding noise and had me confused. Sure enough, bearing. Not cheap, btw...

It's not grinding; only squealing.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Man I hope it's not the TIV! That's the only thing worse than the flux capacitor!:facepalm: I'm certain it's not power steering related. The noise is more of a metallic squeal and is almost definitely coming from the wheel area. It's not that loud and it disappears at speeds above fifteen mph or so.

The carbon treader could be on the way out....and that's worse than both the above. :eek::D
My vote would be a dry bearing.

robert graham

Admiral

My Buick brake wear indicators started squealing last week...new pads, turn rotors, pack bearings, rotate tires-$268...no more squeal! The wear indicators make a very high-pitch sound, unlike most belts, etc.....Get your credit card/check book and go visit mechanic!...he's waiting for you now!- Next Victim!;)

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it the nut behind the steering wheel? Sorry I had to ask :)

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wheel bearings whine then grind. Dust cover/shield might be bent,did ya have any service on the wheel lately?

southkogs

Staff member

Check your blinker fluid. When it runs low, those pumps tend to squeal too.

:D LOL - fun thread. I vote for wheel bearing, that's what it works like on my Fords when they go out. If it's 2WD it should be an easy fix.