2000 Chevrolet Dually, C3500 Fuel Level Sender/Sensor Question.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Everyone,
I have a quick question for all of you. Anyway, I am going to drop my fuel tank and swap out my Fuel Level Sender/Sensor since I believe it is what is causing my erratic fuel gauge movement on the dash on my new to me truck, 2000 Chevy, C3500, and plus the part was very cheap, under $20.00 and after doing some on-line research that is what I am leaning to and this erratic fuel gauge has been like this since I got this truck. Anyway, my question is that the ohms specs for these GM fuel level sender/sensors is from 40 ohms (empty) to 240 ohms (full). Anyway, I went ahead and tested the new one that I received in the mail yesterday and it checks out fine from 38.1 ohms and never goes open throughout all movements from 38.1 (ohms) to the max of 196.4 (ohms). Anyway, Once it gets past the 196.4 (Ohms) then I don't get anything on the meter or it is open connection past 196.4 (Ohms). Anyway, Will that cause an erratic fuel gauge once it the float moves the fuel level sender/sensor arm past 196.4 (ohms) or do I need to get another Fuel Level sender/Sensor from the folks I bought this new one from? :confused:

Big Bubba

Re: 2000 Chevrolet Dually, C3500 Fuel Level Sender/Sensor Question.

Well I feel like a dumb-butt, LOL. After I wrote the above thread above I realized I had my meter set on Ohms but on the max of 200 (Ohms) scale so I moved it to the 2000 (Ohms) scale above the 200 (Ohms) and it seems to be reading right. So know I get 37 (Ohms) to the max of 246 (Ohms) that is alot better. I guess the meter zeros out or goes open once it hits around 200 (Ohms) and beyond but moving the dial one more up from 200 (Ohms) to 2000 (Ohms) makes the difference. So I believe I have a good working sender unit. Boy, I guess I can blame this on being sick, with both ears being infected and and upper respiratory infection. I did the first test yesterday afternoon and staying home from work because of being sick so when I came home today I just happened to look at my meter settings on the ohm side and the lowest setting you can go or start out at is 200 ohms and the max is 2000k (ohms).

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad we could help out.

Big Bubba

/////update/////
replaced my fuel level sender/sensor on my, 'New To Me" truck and the fuel level gauge at the dash works fine now and doesn't jump around all over the place like it did before. The fuel level sender/sensor that was on it, the old one, was extremely worn out and not making any contact on the circuit wiper board the contact fingers that wipe across the wiper circuit board on the fuel pump. So I am a happy camper now.