Drawing heat from fireplace...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm thinking about buying/building a heat exchanger to install in my fireplace. Tired of seeing 90% of the heat going up the chimney.

Years ago I had something called a "Heatilator", which was comprised of steel tubes that ran vertically from beneath the fire, to the rear of the firebox, and then over the flames to an outlet distribution header. These tubes connected at the bottom to an inlet header which had a forced draft blower to move the air. It really heated my family room well.

Now I'm in a different house with a slightly smaller fireplace and trying to find this device, or something like it, to fit. The key is that I want the air flow to go over the flames, as that's where the greatest benefit is to be had. The commercial ones I've found on-line are all mounted below or behind the heat source, and are badly overpriced.

Does this ring a bell with any of you fellows? Has anyone built or bought a configuration that meets my description?

(P.S...I would consider a vent-free gas log, but the lady has asthma and couldn't coexist very well with one of these.)

Last edited:

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Drawing heat from fireplace...

^+1 on the insert. That is option #1

Option # 2 would be a airtight free standing stove. With a little ingenuity you could still use your existing chimney.

Summer Fun

Banned

Forget about messing with that wood crap !!.

We stuffed a rice coal / pellet stove in ours. :)

Like this one.

Enviro_M55Cast.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Forget about messing with that wood crap !!.

We stuffed a rice coal / pellet stove in ours. :)

Like this one.

Enviro_M55Cast.jpg

"RICE COAL", I can't even find "RICE WOOD"

So stick with pine or spruce!!!!:p

Summer Fun

Banned

:D

We can also burn dried cow corn by changing the burn box and auger. .

We heat our house for just under $1.200 a year with that stove. :)

Here's our friends trying to bomb us with water balloons as they went over. :eek:.

OurHouse.jpg

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. You've given me some things to consider.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

The new corn burner/ wood pellet stoves heat like crazy. And having the hopper on the there to feed the stove while your gone is nice. No getting up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire.

I remember the heatalators you are talking about and I think you could probably put one together fairly cheap.