Ceiling Fan Instal Cost

flingus

Seaman
Been trying to search on google but, no luck really. Anyone have any idea what a licensed electrician would charge to install a ceiling fan? It's just a replacement, current fan works but its ugly as sin and too small. Only hassle I imagine is I have a 15 to 16 foot ceiling but, all the wiring needed is already there. I imagine worst case scenario, this would be a two hour job.. Probably less for someone very experienced. Let's say they charge $100 an hour like a boat mechanic would, $200 and I would think I'm good to go..

Anyway, I have Mr. Sparky coming out to give me an estimate this weekend. I heard they are very expensive but, they will not even give me a ballpark estimate so I have no choice but to have them come out. I managed to talk them out of a 'trip fee' so, if I don't agree to the cost I lose nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Again, wiring is already in place, I already have the new fan, extra parts just in case, and the pole the fan has to go on since its a vaulted ceiling so this should be a simple replacement. Also, house is only 10 yrs old so he wiring is in decent shape. No old style fuses or any of that.

Thanks,

Flingus

PS: Boat is running great !

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Ceiling Fan Instal Cost

Since it's just a replacement and all your wiring is there, a guy could do it for $50....sounds like the only tricky part of the job is the high ceiling. No friends or neighbors who are handy wanting to pick up an easy $50?....I'll bet Mr. Sparky is gonna try to stick it to you!....

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Why not do it yourself? It's not rocket surgery. Is it because of the ceiling height?

flingus

Seaman

Why not do it yourself? It's not rocket surgery. Is it because of the ceiling height?

Yeah, mainly the ceiling height. But, the weight of the new fan being installed worries me a bit too. It's pretty large, I imagine I'd have to hold it for a long time while attempting to crimp wires together. I've done most of the light fixtures in my house but, ceiling height has only been around 10 feet for the fixtures. Plus, I have worries about installing the thing and it falling, or wobbling like mad. :facepalm:

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, mainly the ceiling height. But, the weight of the new fan being installed worries me a bit too. It's pretty large, I imagine I'd have to hold it for a long time while attempting to crimp wires together. I've done most of the light fixtures in my house but, ceiling height has only been around 10 feet for the fixtures. Plus, I have worries about installing the thing and it falling, or wobbling like mad. :facepalm:

Fan motors are set in the cradle before the wiring takes place. Even flush mount ones used for a low ceiling provide a hanging hook. The worst part of this job is the up and down the ladder routine when installing the blades.

If you want more DIY advice than the directions provide, feel free to ask.

flingus

Seaman

Fan motors are set in the cradle before the wiring takes place. Even flush mount ones used for a low ceiling provide a hanging hook. The worst part of this job is the up and down the ladder routine when installing the blades.

If you want more DIY advice than the directions provide, feel free to ask.

Well, maybe I'll take the old one down and get the new one out of the box and give it a quick look. If I can get it installed before Sunday then cool, if not I can always let Mr Sparky finish whatever I don't do.

Thanks, appreciate it!

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well, maybe I'll take the old one down and get the new one out of the box and give it a quick look. If I can get it installed before Sunday then cool, if not I can always let Mr Sparky finish whatever I don't do.

Thanks, appreciate it!

I have a hunch you are new at this so this is not meant as an insult.
1. Remove old blades from motor. A cordless drill with a #2 Phillips is the way to go.
2. Release the canopy, usually 2 screws, to expose the wiring.
3. Disconnect the wiring and cap any black or red wires for safety.

If you have wall controls to work the fan and a light at the same time the box should contain 4 wires, red, black, white and bare. Otherwise the red will be missing.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

My brother is a master electrician (in Florida) and he said "in the neighborhood of $75. Typical service call rate."

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

:DA beer a minute is the family labor rate. I charged my borther-in-law a 30 pack to install his because it was done in 30 minutes! :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm not big on electrical work either, but, have done some including a couple of fans and ceiling light fixtures. Before I start in disconnecting wires I like to turn the breaker for that circuit "off". I don't like surprises......;)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I agree with the others, this is not rocket science, the hardest part being the height but even that is pretty simple(for me) $75 seems very reasonable though.

as stated use the support hook that is supplied, makes things very simple since the wiring is already in place.

djames

Cadet

Flingus, depending on your whereabouts, I'm in Va.in the Peninsula area and the going rate is $105 an hr. plus mats. Ask them if they have their own 16 foot ladder and since you have all the stuff they should be able to do the whole job within the hr.if their any good providing you have the proper ceiling fan rated box in place already. I you have a sloped ceiling make sure you have a ceiling fan that's rated for a sloped ceiling otherwise you'll have to return it and you'll have to pay the electrician for another service charge. They also charge for travel time so the time it takes for them to get there is part of the 1hr.. If it takes them 30 min. to get there then you have 30 min. left on the clock to finish the job for that 1 hr...Anything after that is usually charged in 30 min. increments ex: $105hr.- $52.50 half hr...Hope this was useful

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

As a retired electrician and electrical inspector, I can understand some reluctance for a contractor to give you even a ballpark price. I'm a firm believer in the DIY approach, but homes are rife with projects completed by unqualified homeowners that have good intentions, but leave a history of transgressions for the next unsuspecting homeowner and contractor. One simple variable with a previous ceiling fan installation is how well it was supported. Methods used originally to support a simple ceiling light fixture are not adequate to support a large fan. The contractor may find that the support is already adequate or he may be able to easily add the necessary support hook into solid structure. However, he might also find that the original fixture was mounted on a fixture bar (or even less) that is not adequate support for a fan and there may be no wood structure nearby to which the fan can be secured. Depending on the electrician's experience and ethics, he could decide it's good enough as is or he may refuse to mount the fan without breaking some drywall. Too many variables. Taking the old fan down ahead of time is a good move, so the contractor can see what he's pricing. But then if you're that far into things, you could just finish the job yourself, but do it right. - Grandad

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

As an electrician, the hard part is the high ceilings. A fan is not hard to install but they are time consuming. The last one I put up took about an hour and a half from start to finish. That was a complete removal and replacement. But it was also only an 8 ft ceiling.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do all my families fans...We all like the type with remote controls for the light and the fan so they don't take much to put together...I just install the cradle in the ceiling box and leave the wire nuts from the old fan on the wires...Assemble the whole fan blades and all and run it up a ladder, throw it in the cradle...Three wires and trim piece later its done...Takes about 20 minutes to put it in...I would feel guilty charging more then 30-40$ for less then an hour of my time if it was for a neighbor...:eek:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

If the current fan is 10 years old, the box may not be adequate for a fan, under current codes. If you take the old one down, look at how the fan is attached. If it is screwed into the box "ears", the box will need to be replaced with one of the new, sturdier ones. If it is mounted on studs coming from the bottom of the box, it is probably OK.

I'm guessing a licensed electrician would not install a fan onto a box that does not comply with current codes. There are boxes that can be installed through the hole that the current box is in (assuming you can get the current box out) - but they may not work with your sloping celing. If not, you are looking at taking down/replacing some drywall - which adds to the hours and cost.