remote car starters

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is anyone running an aftermarket car starter? I am in the market for one, it gets subzero here. I don?t want to go outside in -20 degree weather to crank up the truck when I get up in the morning. There is usually a good layer of ice on most mornings to so it will save me a lot of scraping. So what I am looking for is a long range that will tell me my truck is running and bonus points for going through several layers of cinder block and steel doors.
Here is something that fits the bill so far.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-...ded)/9347815.p?id=1218089217545&skuId=9347815

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: remote car startes

Looks like a nice system. Viper's parent company makes about 10 different brands of those and they are all good products.
In addition to a bunch of other fine brands out there, I would find the shoppe with the best installer and go there because in the case of remote starts and critical automotive wiring "install is everything".

I have been using the Ultra Starters brand for ten years and love them, no problems with the system of the cars wiring afterwards. :cool:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I've used Viper remote starts/alarms on multiple vehicles and never had a problem. If your not experienced with auto wiring, have a pro do it.

Also, Viper has a SmartStart system that you can activate with a Droid phone... its pretty trick, but not cheap.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I have used remote starters of various makes over the years. This would make a good topic for Technical Topics section.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: remote car starters

Thanks for the reply?s guys keep them coming. windsors03cobra I will look into the others soon, 642mx I have a droid phone so that would be sweet but I haven?t found enough reviews to make that plunge, and Cofe what brands have you used and what did you think of them. Please keep in mind the bonus points of cinder block walls and steel doors is because I live in Army barracks, and I know that kills signal, and at the last do not want to have to leave the building otherwise I might as well walk the next 300 feet or so to turn the key.

Splat

Lieutenant

I've had a viper system before, no problems but it was only one way.

My last 2 systems were both Compustar brand. Never had any problems with them except I would go through a remote every year or so until I remembered to take it out of my pocket before laying on concrete, or climbing over machinery, or playing with my dog. They have a LCD screen whick is very cool as it tell your interior temp, remaining time left till defalt shut off, plus other things like if the alarm trips if it was a shock sensor, or a door or trunk opening. Until you smash it. The unit would still work however just with out all the cool readouts.

One feature was a senor that was mounted low on the windshield that would flash when the alarm was armed. It's also a pager, if you knock on the window it would page my key fob to alert me. A useless feature in my mind, but my friend always thought it was funny as hell to do at 3am when going through my apartment complex.

I sprung and had some of the extra features added on my last truck, I could roll down the windows and open my sun roof with or without starting the truck. from the key fob. Could also activate my headlights and suck. It was very nice.

http://www.compustar.com/products/cs/RF-2W900.html

This was the last syatem I had. Never had a problem.

Bill

puddle jumper

Captain

Things to keep in mind;

-I would not recommend installing on a manual trans.
-Not all kits come with all of the necessary components for every auto.
This is very true on modern autos with there own security systems.
-Some kits can cause drive ability/electrical problems.
-If you plan to install your own get a good wiring diagram for the car its going on. Even then it can be difficult.

I have installed a few kits with great success and repaired some real hack jobs.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Splat a friend of mine had that knock sensor on his car when we were in high school. It was cool but useless as he stated also had a lcd screen that gave a similar readout like yours did. It had a crazy long range if it was line of sight maybe a cinderblock wall in between. Thank you for the link I will look into them as well.

Puddle jumper the one I linked states it may need extra hardware to work with secretin models but again thank you for pointing that out. My truck is an auto. I would like to install one myself to save some $$ but having one installed may be the way to go. I have gotten to that point where I just don?t care to do this stuff myself anymore because it can be complicated and, also with things like oil changes its not much more than I would pay to get the oil and filter, and it is done in 10 minuts.

This will be going in a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 auto trans.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well I could tell you a lot about them, but I am sure there is a certain poster here that will tell you I am wrong!

If you want some information, please send me a PM, we use them about 7 months of the year and they are a life saver..

Dave

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Profesional instalation can cost more than the starter system but if you aren't an expert DON'T try it yourself, no mater how complete the directions are. These starter systems can really mess up a car if not done right.

mscher

Lieutenant

DW wanted a remote starter installed in her 06' Highlander Hybrid. That thing is so complex, no way will one wire be cut in it, unless it is by a Japanese Automotive Engineer, currently employeed by Toyota, visiting from Japan. :)

Newer Highlanders do have an available factory remote start.

45Auto

Commander

splat said:
I sprung and had some of the extra features added on my last truck, ....... Could also activate my headlights and suck. It was very nice.

I bet it was!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have my Remote Starter hooked to the seat heaters in my Truck.:D

Splat

Lieutenant

I bet it was!

ROFLMAO! Was supposed to be *such!

But a suck feature would also be nice. Come to think of it my buddy had a car with a blow feature(one to many DUI's).... ok I'm done now

Bill

Splat

Lieutenant

This will be going in a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 auto trans.

The 07 I just bought has the factory remote start in it. I wonder if a plug and play option is offered through Dodge. Considering their ignition system is all computer controlled anyways.

Bill

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have installed a number of these systems in the past however make sure it is compatibe with your factory alarm or you may have to replace it with one made by the remote start manufacture. It took me a whole day to remove factory alarm and rewire in a complete system. As far as reliability i have 325k miles on the truck with no issues. My system was made by ic dynamics. they claim the newer systems are more user friendly. did you check with jc whitney.com I believe they are going to have a holiday special on remote starts. PS solder all wires pertaining to ignition and starter components.:)

G

I live in Canada near Wwindsor Ont and I have had aftermarket remote starter/alarm systems in most of my vehicles and not once had a problem with them. The dealer I use is very reliable with the equipment he sells. He even puts the same ones in our local police cars and trucks and they don't seam to have any probs what so ever! Good luck finding a good dealer and product.

puddle jumper

Captain

I would like to install one myself to save some $$ but having one installed may be the way to go. I have gotten to that point where I just don?t care to do this stuff myself anymore because it can be complicated

If you think you might be in over your head with this I would strongly recommend you have it done for you. The last one I did took me about 6 hours on a 07 f150. A installer could do it faster because they know were to hook up the wires from doing so many.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will definitely have a pro install it.

sasto

Captain

Our Escalade has one...we use it in the winter too....to run the A/C...:)

My neighbor calls it a "politician" cause it blows hot air up your a**.