Computer Tower Help Needed

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
My sister-in-law gave us a nice HP computer. It has Vista on it and is a really nice little outfit. It is one of the slimline HP's.
The problem with it is getting it to boot. It seems to have a hardware prob or something in the tower. We have to turn it on and off several times to get it to boot. It usually wont boot unless I tap F8 as soon as I turn it on.
SIL didn't make the recovery discs when it was new and it doesn't have a recovery option that I can find.
Once it decides to boot it really works great.
I have tried to re-start it when it was working, sometimes it will, most times it wont. It acts like it just has no power. The DVD rom light will flash then it just goes dead except for the power button light. When it does boot it has a HD light that flashes to to let you know that it is working.
My wife called HP's help line but they wont even try to help without us paying 50.00 for help desk because it's out of warranty.
Any info or advice will be appreciated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Computer Tower Help Needed

Sounds like it might have a faulty power supply in it, now a days, most desktop type computers have smart power supplies in them that are actually small computers in their own right. If you have any local computer stores, they should be able to tell right away if that is what is causing it. I know a few years ago, I had one drive me crazy doing exactly what your talking about only to find out is was a power supply and not the computer itself that had a problem.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If you determine that it is a software issue, it sounds like maybe a good time to get yourself a copy of XP and put it on.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If you do decide to back grade down to XP, just make darn sure you get all of the correct drivers for XP that you can BEFORE hand, I just did this yesterday on one of my Vista Laptops and it was a 14 hour grind tracking everything down to make sure all of the hardware worked in the laptop, it was a real pain in the rear. So if you do that find out everything that is in the computer and go to the various websites and download the XP drivers! You will be happy you did!

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you do anything that is going to cost you money. Open the case, carefully unplug and reseat every cable you see. Remove the ram/memory and reseat. Remove all hardware cards and reseat. If dusty blow out with canned air or air compressor. Make sure all fans are clean and working properly.

Be careful some of the wire plugs, hardware cards and ram will have little locks/levers that you must release to unseat them. The weather is dry right now, make sure you have no static electricity in your body before touching the computer internals.

Many things wrong with a computer can be diagnosed with just a little internet research. When you start the computer do you hear any 'beeps'. If so how many and in what pattern?

I have had a very similar issue as you when a video card went bad. You may need to remove/replace a bad video card. If you are using the mother board built in video card you may need to add/install a video card. My problem was so similar to yours that I actually do suspect that the video hardware is the problem.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Adjuster has some good advice. I would add to look at how much dust is inside the computer. I have a friend with a dog that sheds and every so often help by blowing out the inside of the computer.

For general advice, take a look at heat sink on the CPU when you have it open. I doubt this is your problem since it sounds like the computer is cold when you try to start it, but I have had computers where I have pulled what looks like a sheet of felt off the heat sink.
Also look at the fans. Give them a little spin with your finger. If they don't spin freely they need to be replaced.

But what it sounds like is the the power supply, as MTboatguy said. Power supplies are pretty generic. You an probably find a replacement for about $30 or so. If you have another computer check it out. The supplies may be the same and you can swap to try it.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice I sure appreciate it.I'm going to set aside tomorrow to give it a good going over.