Transporting two cars?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transporting two cars?

Not sure but I think I read where the Auto Transports will not allow anything inside the vehicle that is not "installed" equipment.
Other than floor mats.

Check this out:
http://www.gosmartmove.com/
Kinda like PODS, only smaller. You fill them and they ship them.
The one linked is a Atlas Van Lines subsideray or something.
Google "self serve moving".

P.S.
When I moved from Canada to Florida, Penske was substantually cheaper than U-Haul and had newer equipment.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Not sure but I think I read where the Auto Transports will not allow anything inside the vehicle that is not "installed" equipment.
Other than floor mats.

Check this out:
http://www.gosmartmove.com/
Kinda like PODS, only smaller. You fill them and they ship them.
The one linked is a Atlas Van Lines subsideray or something.
Google "self serve moving".

P.S.
When I moved from Canada to Florida, Penske was substantually cheaper than U-Haul and had newer equipment.

Hmmm! I will have to look into that. That would throw a damper on things. They would need some of their goods on arrival.

I looked into PODs and U-haul containers but they were too big and very costly. I check your link.

....and yes, Penske was nearly half the price of U-haul for moving vans. I was shocked. But alas, any of those option just didn't work out.

64osby

Admiral

A couple years ago I was trying to find alternate ways to get my mom's car back from Florida, snow bird. I can across a web site, unknown at this time, where you posted vehicle type, departure and destination and time frame and people would contact you (bid) on driving your vehicle. you pay gas and a little to them.

You have to put your car in someone elses hands:eek: It's just an idea.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

They could sell one or both of the cars before leaving, add what it would have cost to transport to the sale price and buy a newer/better car on arrival at their destination.

just another Idea....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

They could sell one or both of the cars before leaving, add what it would have cost to transport to the sale price and buy a newer/better car on arrival at their destination.

just another Idea....

That would be a very viable alternative if they wanted/needed a different/bigger/newer car OR if any of the cars were near the end of their practical lives.

As it is, their two cars are in good shape and of middling mileage. It would not be prudent to sell and repurchase just to move sideways. At least now they know what they have. A sideways move to replace them with eastern used cars of similar age, mileage and value would not be a good move.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 'eastern car syndrome' is a definite concern.... and the bird in the hand philosophy makes sense as well.

What to do.... what to do????

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

They drive one, ship what doesn't fit in the car or can't wait, and then you drive the other one there at your convenience with more stuff that isn't needed right away. Its not a bad drive and the plane ticket back shouldn't be all that much money.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

They drive one, ship what doesn't fit in the car or can't wait, and then you drive the other one there at your convenience with more stuff that isn't needed right away. Its not a bad drive and the plane ticket back should be all that much money.

Ya know, ondarvr, this has been one of the explored permutations of what they might do. But the truth is, even being econoboxes, the fuel, alone, to go 2800 miles would be about 3/8's of what it would cost to put it/them on an Auto Transport. Add to that the wear and tear and the possible risk of mechanical troubles and the disparity between driving and shipping grows narrower.

This does not even take into account the fact that we are approaching winter and there could be some issues from that.

Also, for what they would have to pay for hotels and food nearly equal what it would cost for them both to fly there.

Fact of the matter is that there is no cheap way to travel long distances. This has been a real interesting excercise in the comparison of many different naive hopes and realistic alternatives.

My daughter is very appreciative that there was someone else to do this analysis for them. She needs to be at her new job on Nov 22 and there is much other to be done prior to their departure

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont know if they still do it, but transport companies had people licensed and bonded for the sole purpose of driving a car to whatever location, and take a train, bus etc back...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Back in my college days we were looking for ultra cheap transportation between NY and Fla. We would hook up with outfits that provided car movement services for folks who did not want to do the long drive themselves. Cheap for them and was cheap for us.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rent a 20ft storage pod, call a flatbed carrier and have them put the cars and the pod on the back of a flatbed and have it hauled to your destination.