Cleaning stainless fridge

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
We just got a new fridge today and of course had to succumb to the stainless fashion.

After spending an eternity peeling all that blue plastic film of the thing there's a gummy residue that soap won't remove.

The instruction manual warns against harsh cleaners or anything with petroleum distillates (good-bye WD-40....)

Anyone got any suggestions?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cleaning stainless fridge

Thanks guys - will try those ideas

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the hardware store,
Denatured Alcohol will remove that gummy residue. Has many other uses.

Then from there you'll want to get some stainless steel polish/cleaner.
If you continue to use just dish detergent or "windex" to clean, you'll notice finger prints will show up easy.

Brewman61

Ensign

We have good luck with Stainless Steel Magic brand cleaner. We didn't have plastic wrap residue to remove. We use it for regual cleaning of fingerprints and it works well. I also use microfiber cloths, just to be sure.
Now if I could just get some of the other household occupants to use the handles of the fridge and dishwasher, they'd get much less print smudges on them.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They don't want you using WD-40 on the stainless in case you find out how well it works and you won't buy there expensive cleaners. We used it all the time in oops! store.

dwco5051

Commander

We had stainless when we upgraded in our last house. I just built a new house and I solved the stainless steel problem by buying white this time. The SS one is now in the garage as our beverage cooler.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

We use Spartan Stainless steel cleaner and polish.

I had originally bought it for use on the boat. Tried some on the appliances and was impressed with the results. It works great on faucets too.

danneva

Recruit

Some people say using WD-40 for kitchen appliances is not good, because it is a petroleum distillate and as a result, is not food-grade (you?d have to constantly wash your hands between trips to the fridge!) however, food-grade mineral oil which is what is in stainless steel cleaner can be used.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

And now for some of my old mum's magic:

Dowse some old newspaper with vinegar and rub the stainless steel.
See the magic! No Streaks, No Marks, Just clean.

(It's the black print & Vinegar that works here)

Thanks Mum.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Some people say using WD-40 for kitchen appliances is not good, because it is a petroleum distillate and as a result, is not food-grade ....

Oops - too late...:(

I got to thinking what could possibly be wrong with good ol WD, came to the same conclusion as Noklu, gave it a try and was really pleased with the results.

Probably explains why the mother-in-law dropped dead after she was over for dinner the other day....a real shame...

Kidding dear! :D

I never thought of the food vs. petroleum angle.

Brewman61

Ensign

There are numerous stainless steel cleaners available for purchase, presumably for kitchen appliances. Are you saying that they are all
food grade? I'm pretty sure Stainless Steel Magic is not.
It's not like you're gonna contaminate your hands when you grab the fridge handle or anything............