Laser printer recommendations?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Whilst trying to fathom out the issues on Mrs B's old Dell Laptop, we went ahead and got a new Dell 1724 I5 for her. Talk about getting your head in a vise! Now I get to help figure out how the h*** the new operating system works. IMHO, too many changes for change sake! Seems I'm gettin it from all sides now. All this responsibility is falling on one who only knows enough to be dangerous.

Bottom line is that Windows 7 will not communicate/see my trusty HP 2100 laser printer so I think I will get a new one and connect it directly to the new laptop. Prior, Mrs B used the 2100 over the wired network.

This may all be wishfull thinking but I would hope to find an inexpensive, black and white laser printer that would work with XP and Windows 7 (at least Win 7) that is smallish in dimensions and uses reasonably priced toner.

Any experiences/recommendations out there?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Laser printer recommendations?

I currently have a Brother HL-2170W. Was pretty inexpensive. You can hook it up to your networks so all can share it. I had a Samsung before that which was horrible...too many paper jams.

This Brother has very good ratings.

I use it on XP and have never used it on any of the newer OSs so may want to investigate that first.

petryshyn

Commander

I have 4 Brother printers. Totally impressed for the money. Easy to refill the toners as well.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm? Newegg shows the Brother HL-2170W out of stock. That either means they are very popular or something else is coming down the pike.

How do you suppose one would find out the power consumption while in standby? I understand that some of these lazer printers can consume a continuous 1000w's. So far I have not seen any consumption data on any of the ads.

I bought one of those Kill A Watt consumption testers from Costco but you have to have the device at hand to test it. (duh)

j_martin

Admiral

+1 on Brothers printers. We use em a lot.

You should be able to get standby power specs from the mother lode. (manufacturer's site)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'll check it out j martin. Maybe they will also specify the OS versions that they run on. So far, all I have seen is that they work on Windows??

EDIT: I found the power consumption figures.

8 W (sleep), 80 W (standby), 460 W (peak)

Staples has a Brother HL-2170 refurb (non wireless) for $49.95 after a $30 rebate. Sounds like you can't go wrong. Rumor has it that you shouldn't run used paper thru this as it will dirty the drum. We always have run once used paper thru my HP 2100 with no issues.

If you are going to run this printer on your network, I assume you just run your cat 5 cable from the printer to the router and budda bing, your on. I have never run a printer this way, I have only done it over the network as a shared printer hooked to another computer.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've decided against the non wireless version. It has lower ppm output, less memory and is not wired network compatible. It only has direct USB hook up.

So I guess I'll have to wait as NewEgg is out of them and they have the best price.

windshield_time

Seaman Apprentice

I have used and serviced HP's for years. I prefer them over the brother. Have you tried to use a compatible driver for the 2100 ? You can try moving down the ladder in printers IE: 2050, 2025, 2000, alot of the still work with the 1200 series driver.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I have used and serviced HP's for years. I prefer them over the brother. Have you tried to use a compatible driver for the 2100 ? You can try moving down the ladder in printers IE: 2050, 2025, 2000, alot of the still work with the 1200 series driver.

I would really like to use the 2100 as a shared printer for my wife's new Win 7 laptop. The hitch has been that with the 2100 declared as shared, on the wired network, the new Win 7 laptop does not even see it.

I go to Add Printer and select network printer and it keeps searching without finding any thing.

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just bought a new HP ePrint,wireless,not a jet printer but its fast & wireless.the ink being seperated so you can just buy what is running low was a selling point with me.my wife was onto me about our old Hp ,i couldnt get full function with xp installed even though i loaded the updated drivers:mad: oh well,$130 latter she's happy :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never ever ever ever ever ever again would I get an inkjet printer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Never ever ever ever ever ever again would I get an inkjet printer.

ME EITHER!!!!! Ugh, they are the most consistently disappointing pieces of technology around. After throwing away my third one, I went laser and never went back. My wife says "it's a shame we can't print in color" and I say "it just ain't worth it honey, just ain't worth it".

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If I want a print of a photo, I use Kodak, Snapfish or Costco.