Best internet for travel?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I have a Verizon phone but will be doing a ton of travel.
Any suggestions on the best internet plan for my laptop?

Verizon looked expensive!

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best internet for travel?

Well you have a couple of options. You can buy a 3G/4G phone that can be tethered to your laptop, or you can buy a mobile broadband card.

Both of these options require some sort of dataplan through there perspective carriers and all are too expensive for my liking.

Both iPhone and Evo are tetherable and there are others. Either way the speeds probably won't be as fast as your broadband at home.

If you get the mobile broadband card you can cancel your home broadband and use that at home and on the go but like I said the speeds will not be as fast.

I am also curious if there's someone out there that knows a secret about afforable mobile broadband solutions.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I figured it would be a lot slower but the monthly service plans that i have found so far are a bit pricey..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I can tether my blackberry (verizon) but 4G is much faster.....

Beyond that MANY MANY places offer free wifi and since you will only "surf" while stopped...... I would hold off and get a feel for the free available wifi with a laptop first

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Bob,
Yea i'm going to take the laptop and see what i can get before paying for a plan.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most truck stops have wifi but they make you buy a plan to access them. for instance flying j. pilot. petro.loves.etc. it is according to where your company likes you to fuel. they are not to expensive.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

They want us to fuel mostly at Wilco-Hess...They are usually smaller but i'll check into that....Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just my opinion but there are plenty of free (unsecured) wifi sites out there ....... like said above even if you have to pay a nominal fee at various places...... I am sure you will find other driver's doing the "net". Polite conversation and they will reveal their likes and dislikes of the various systems.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of phone do you have??? is it tethering capable??? if it is just change the M.IP defualt to yourphone#@VZW.com and download the VZWaccess manager. now you'll get free tethering....shhhhh, don't tell everyone though, and don't get carried away with your usage.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

What kind of phone do you have??? is it tethering capable??? if it is just change the M.IP defualt to yourphone#@VZW.com and download the VZWaccess manager. now you'll get free tethering....shhhhh, don't tell everyone though, and don't get carried away with your usage.

Not sure if my phone is capable...but will check into it..;)
It is a Motorola W766....

dolluper

Captain

Lots of free connections around the world....you can hack in anywhere or free from real providers....never have to pay...be eventurous

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Lots of free connections around the world....you can hack in anywhere or free from real providers....never have to pay...be eventurous

I have done that before. Park near an area with a lot of hotels...;)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If you're staying at hotels, allmost all have free wi-fi. I also park next to hotels to piggyback on their connection to check email traveling from one location to another. If you're a member of a hotel chain rewards system, they don't mind if you just sit down in the lobby and log on. I sign up for Boingo for the month if I'll be spending considerable time at airports but it all depends on what they have at that specific location. Some of the truck stops also use Boingo. Depends on the state, but some of them have wi-fi at the rest areas. Just be prepared for some pretty slow speeds. Some are so slow it's unuseable.

Remember that connectivity becomes a mute point if you can't keep your laptop charged!

SigSaurP229

Commander

I have Sprint and an unlimited data in my plan for $80 per month. They don't allow tethering but I have a program called Tetherberry for my blackberry Paid $50 for it one time and I love it. It is pretty close to as fast as my Broadband at home.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Corporate issues Sprint Mobile Broadband Aircards and IPASS connect accounts to us. Between the two, I'm good to go just about anywhere in the world.

D

DJ

I use Verizon. BB tethered.

Verizon has NEVER let me down it terms of coverage. I get a great signal even in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.:eek:

You have to watch the Blackberry though to make sure you have the "1XEV" displayed to make a connection. If it disappears, just reboot the BB.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have AT&T and a Nokia E72 (BB type thing) tethered. Careful though, I understand some carriers will zap you with a huge charge if they catch you using what you pay for i.e. tethering on an "unlimited" data plan is not considered within the rules by some carriers. Verizon is one of them.

D

DJ

I have AT&T and a Nokia E72 (BB type thing) tethered. Careful though, I understand some carriers will zap you with a huge charge if they catch you using what you pay for i.e. tethering on an "unlimited" data plan is not considered within the rules by some carriers. Verizon is one of them.

Mrs. DJ, has a Smart Phone :(. While the device is great, AT&T, well, leaves a bit to be desired. IMHO.

Notice, I didn't say the PHONE was great. It does EVERYTING great except being a phone. If she leaves Metro PHX, I get every other word she says.

Maybe that's OK.;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL . . . My AT&T service (work) is suspect as well. Lots of dropped calls etc. At my home, Sprint is the only reliable carrier, but of course we (Family) doesn't have a contract with them. That would make too much sense.