repair or replace windows

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in a wooden house and we are having problems with rot on several windows. The sills in particular are getting to the point of where I no longer want to try to patch,fill, or otherwise treat the wood but would prefer to simply replace it.

The windows are 25 years old, and original to the house; I have removed aluminum windows on a concrete house, and installed vinyl in their place, but that is the limit of my experience with windows. I am pretty good with tools, and have a very well stocked garage, and would like to think I can build a new sill(or anything else) if necessary.

Is it worth it to try to only replace the sill, or do i have to spring for new windows? If I do replace the sill can it be done in place, or do I have to pull the windows. I assume if the sills can be replaced, I will have to fabricate new sills, or can they be purchased premade? Would a trex or composite type material be worth while, or should I stick to wood? I am trying to get this done on a shoestring budget.

Sorry for all the questions but I have some free time coming up and am planning on getting some stuff off my to do list. For what its worth the house is in Florida, and its open window time of year, so having gaping holes in the wall for a day wont be too bad.

Thanks for any help,
And-Con

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: repair or replace windows

If you have vinyl windows now and not aluminum...... I would rebuild the sills with pressure treated wood. The sills are not to tough to duplicate.

I would suggest that you "try one" and see how the process goes and if it works out to your liking then do them all a bit at a time.

The trick to making sills is to cut a drip edge on the underside which is nothing more then a slight saw cut the length of the sill on the exterior. I found this pic that might show better...
wkh306_1fc_lead.jpg

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I would think with 25 year old windows on semi rotted sills, you would want to replace both. There are certainly much more efficient windows offered today. A high efficiency window combined with new sills would most likely reduce air infiltration significantly. I am sure you'd notice in your utility bill. You may also be able to write off a portion of the cost on your taxes.

If you go that route, and want to do it yourself, buy the windows, try installing one and see how it goes.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A number of years ago I needed to have some wooden windows replaced in my 100 year old row home. I called a reputable local company (stay away from the national ones, they're a huge RIP). They came and installed 5 brand new vinyl windows with double locks and tilt in sashes that open and close with 1 finger, capped all the sills and surrounding wood with aluminum, and cleaned up after themselves. I came home from work and the only evidence that they'd been there was the 5 new windows. $1500.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This house is the bane of my existence; but it was made by "craftsmen"; all the corner trim on the outside; it has wood siding, and every corner has trim as such, but it is all mitered, not simply butt jointed, but despite a new coat of paint every 3 to 5 years, it is now all rotten too.

It is a Florida house, and has a big front porch. The posts that hold up the roof are all notched for the beams, then had the deck built around them. I was amazed when I saw they notched it, this is a 6x6 post, and the lower 2 feet has rotten to non existence.(18" below deck and 6" above). Any wood repair I do is using pt or otherwise rot resistant wood.

But, back to the windows; I'll probably pull one, see how its assembled and such and if it seems doable to replace just the sills, proceed down that path, if not, I'll have to pony up the money for new vinyl.Maybe after the first I'll be able to replace sills without pulling the window. Or maybe after the first I'll be ordering a batch of windows.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hear ya. My cousin and her husband recently bought a new home mainly because keeping after their century old wooden house was a nightmare. Just the painting alone was enough to break you. I also don't miss my row home. On the rear of that house the brick was crumbling. Shoot, what do you have when the masonry starts to go!!?? :eek: (Course my brand new house is built like crap so I guess you win some you lose some). I think I'd like to have a house built in the 60's where they had decent building standards but they weren't yet using particle board in everything.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

We're running into the same problem with my Moms' house. In addition to the sills, I'm concerned about any leakage into the wall. Be really curious to see how you come out.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A lot of times you can replace the window sill without removing the window. Make sure you insulate it and seal it up real nice.

I'm sure you've learned the hard way working on anything on a 100 year old house can be fun.

If you take some pictures of your current windows interior/exterior I should be able to advise you further.

www.GrandWindow.com