Brake Question

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
It?s been 25 plus years since iv done brakes on a car. If remember right we use to remove the cap off the master cylinder and use a c-clamp to compress the caliper. Doing it this way we didn?t have to bleed the brakes since no air could get into the system. So question is if we do it this way on a car with ABS will we damage the ABS system.

Thanks

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Brake Question

I did my car like that with ABS brakes and nothing went wrong. :)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have done it on many vehicles with ABS and no problems.Just compress them really slow.
I know they say it can harm some ABS units but i have had no problems.

Some of the newer calipers screw in to compress on the rear disc.
I found that out on a Buick my neighbor has..:rolleyes:

Only other way is to crack the bleeder screw and bleed the brakes when finished.
I have to do a 4 wheel brake job on a Saturn in the morning..

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You won't screw up the ABS system. But if you do decide to bleed out and replace the brake fluid, and you end up with air in the system, with some ABS's systems you'll need a breakout box or a diagnostic tool to purge the pump.

It should cause no problem, BUT if its been that long since you did a brake job I would highly recommend that you get and REVIEW the procedure from a service manual....Anyone with a car needs to have a repair manual .Well worth the 15 /20 bucks

fgardinier

Cadet

Using a C clamp to compress the piston will work on some cars, especially the front brake. But most rear brakes need to have the piston rotated while compressing. This is due to the construction differences for the parking brake. Auto Zone, Pep Boys and others will allow you to "Rent" a caliper compression kit. I would highly recommend renting this kit. If unfamilliar with its operation they should be able to show you how it operates. Many places have "tools" you can buy but most are just not worth the cost and do not work well. The kit works easily and makes the job a snap. I would also recommend you take the car to a car wash and wash the caliper area well to help remove brake dust. That stuff is nasty. BTW Denatured alcohol from HD/Lowes is a great solvent that is safe for all brake rubber. Much cehaper that cleaners.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I would not try and compress the fluid all the way back to the master cylinder, I would crack the bleader screw on the slave/caliper press the puck back and then close the bleader screw.
any crud or moisture always ends up in the caliper end, just top up master cylinder when finished.
my 2c anyways

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the replies. I do have a service manual for this vehicle. It?s a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ 5.3. I just put new tires on it and they did a brake check and informed me the front brakes would need to be replaced shortly but the rear was still in good shape. Both front and back brakes were replaced about 2 ? years ago by the service department. With money being tight I would like to save by doing this myself. It?s just been a long time and don?t want to mess things up.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I just did a brake job on my truck this morning. One thing I'd suggest before you do it, is to make sure you have a pipe extension for your lug wrench. Service places love to over torque wheel lug nuts. :mad:

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

60% of braking capacity is on the front brake pads so they wear faster. Just push piston in and put new pads on if rotors are not scored.. They will be fine. Just remember to pump brake petal before driving:D. My 2cnts worth.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

on the old abs systems you could mess them up, however on the newer abs systems you can compress the calipers, it is not recommended though. you push all the dirty fluid into the abs and master cylinder. this could cause a problem with the master cylinder, causing the little o rings to be scored and causing premature master cylinder failure.
The way I do it is to take off the master cyl. cap, open the bleeder valve, compress the caliper, tighten the bleeder, replace the pads. Top off the master cyl, and crack open the bleeder valve on the caliper. Allow gravity to refill you caliper and all the air should be out. Tigheten the bleeder valve and you have no contaminated fluid in your system. Be sure to put down rags and cover the bleeder with one so that the fluid doesnt go everywhere.

j_martin

Admiral

I did a couple of quickie brake jobs on an Astro van during it's 328,000 mile life. Somewhere around 250,000 the ABS brake controller threw a code for a stuck check valve. Shop said it needed a new computer. I told them to purge/replace the brake fluid first. That fixed it.

My procedure now is to go ahead and compress the calipers, and if the fluid in the master cylinder gets dirty, to purge the brake fluid and replace it before I put it back into service.

Don't know anything about rear disk brakes. Never owned anything that fancy.

dolluper

Captain

Ifin you have not done the brakes in alot of miles it would be a good idea to bleed all the old brake fuild out...replacing with new brake fuild as its coming out....since brake fuild does retain water...and will screw up your abs contoller....you can get moisture test strips at auto supply stores....that way you can test and see if you should replace the brake fuild

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

HAV2FISH, just make sure you do not over-torque the wheel lugs. I had a service shop do it and it caused warped rotors on my CX-9. I torque mine at 90 ft-lbs.

SigSaurP229

Commander

60% of braking capacity is on the front brake pads so they wear faster. Just push piston in and put new pads on if rotors are not scored.. They will be fine. Just remember to pump brake petal before driving:D. My 2cnts worth.

With a name like Autotech I may not be in much of a place to argue here, but I respectfully disagree take the rotors to a shop and get them turned or go ahead and replace them. $12 to turn them $50 to replace them. Its just cheap insurance and will help the pads last longer and safer for towing the boat too.