Need Adhesive teflon pads!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just installed and painted my boat trailer spare tire carrier.<br /><br />
DSCF0035.jpg
<br /><br />I will also sandblast and paint my steel wheels to match. I would hate to bolt the wheel to the painted carrier and have it scrape the paint to bare metal.<br /><br />I thought about glueing some rubber sheet to the face of the mount but that would just squeeze out when I torqued the locking lug nuts down.<br /><br />My latest thought was to use some thin teflon pads that would not squeeze out. Any ideas??

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Adhesive teflon pads!

Teflon and glue? No compatibility that I am aware of. Chief

KRS

Banned

Old tire tread (or other thick rubber), drill the three holes in a 6x8" slab (leave the holes a little on the small side so it doesn't want to come off), and that'll work :)

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br /><br />you can buy adhesive Teflon. It is normally a glass fabric over which they impregnate Teflon. The then either chemically or electrically etch one side to give a surface for the adhesive to bond to. I think it is a 3M product.<br /><br />You could also try get a piece of old conveyor belting which is about 1/2 inch thick. Although the belting is a rubber compound over the area you are looking at it will be pretty incompressable.<br /><br />You might consider using 1/16" washers on each stud. That will keep the wheel away.<br /><br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Bondo

Staff member

Use Stick-on Furniture Feet Pads.......<br /><br />They're Plastic,.... Not Teflon,... But Plastic anyways....<br />
I thought about glueing some rubber sheet to the face of the mount but that would just squeeze out when I torqued the locking lug nuts down.
You only need 30ft.lbs. or so,.... Snugged Up,....<br />After All,... There's No Load on it.....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />You only need 30ft.lbs. or so,.... Snugged Up,....<br />After All,... There's No Load on it.....
I want to use one of those keyed anti-theft lug nuts. I think fot it to be effective I'd have to put a little more whump on it than that, or the bad boys 'd be able to spin it off with the leatherman they stole along with my backpack when they stole my suburban! :mad: :rolleyes: :p :D <br /><br />Andrew, if I can't locate any of the pads you refer to I'll give the washer idea a try. Actually I thought about that earlier then forgot about it again. :eek: <br /><br />I'll use stainless.

Bondo

Staff member

That's Too Bad,...........<br /><br />I've Never Locked My Doors,.........til My Lady's son turned 16............................................. :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />How about Nylon Washers used in Plumbing Fixtures,...........<br /><br />I Bet a trip to the plumbing dept. will yeild 3 washers that'll just fit your lugs.........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> That's Too Bad,...........<br /><br />I've Never Locked My Doors,.........til My Lady's son turned 16............................................. :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />How about Nylon Washers used in Plumbing Fixtures,...........<br /><br />I Bet a trip to the plumbing dept. will yeild 3 washers that'll just fit your lugs.........
I'll check those out Bondo. They would work nicely.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I ended up at Tap Plastics. Got a sheet of 1/8" linear polyethelene. That is tough stuff. I drilled the stud holes then cut around the face of the mount plate. I will probably still use some stainless washers over each of the studs.<br /><br />
DSCF0037.jpg

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can you say "over-engineering" at its finest? LOL<br /><br />UFM82<br /><br />Looks great boomy

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can you say "over-engineering" at its finest? LOL<br /><br />UFM82<br /><br />Looks great boomy

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good looking weld job on the frame too..<br />What color and kind of paint did you use?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Gary H NC.:<br /> Good looking weld job on the frame too..<br />What color and kind of paint did you use?
Gary, I used Omni catalysed Acrylic Automotive enamel. It was mixed to match my trailer color.<br /><br />I wish I could take credit for the weld but I had the frame weld done by a trailer mfgr/repairer. The mount components were wire welded by a friend.