Ford Axle Ubolts bending

sublauxation

Lieutenant
My kid has been working on his 01 F150 adding air bags, adding and removing an extra spring and some other stuff I don't understand........
After each go around of changing things around and he takes off the UBolts they come off bent. Any thoughts on why that may be happening?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
without knowing exactly what is is doing or why

two things come to mind

the first is he tried to save money by using chinesium u-bolts that have come on the suspension-du-jour. if thats is the case, get some decent suspension u-bolts.

or his technique for removing them is bending them.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I think the last set was from Rock Auto, the first was from NAPA. He thinks one of the top bolting plates may be bent, not sure if he bent it or not. Any brand you recommend?

As to what he's doing.......lowered it, then put the stock wedges back in, then added a helper spring to lift it, now wants to return to stock height and add air bags.....because he's 16.....and because it sags 1/2 inch on the driver's side in back (front is level).

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Visit a real truck spring shop and get the real deal on ubolts. NAPA and Rock all use various china made stuff but rock charges more along the line of what a consumer will pay. We "used" to have a great spring shop here but they are gone. If I ever need spring stuff I would visit a true truck shop

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
most AC Delco shops, at least the big Delco distribution shops, will custom make whatever u bolt you need. My local one does it all the time for me, whenever I make a new trailer for somebody.