screw grommet (?)

southkogs

Staff member
I've been looking all over for this thing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I tried one autoparts store (this is off a convertible top), but I don't even know what to call it. I think it's a screw receiving grommet. I can't find a way to find them online, and the autoparts store doesn't seem to have any (or know where to look). Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think I know what you're looking for, but the picture must have been left on the parts counter cuz it isn't showing up.

Well nut. Sometimes the flange tears and rest drops inside, never to be found again. Video shows how they work.

southkogs

Staff member
5th time is a charm - one of the NAPA dudes at a different store found it (rather easily, which should tell me something). Nylon Screw Nut is what it was called. Had to compare 'em to get the right one.

Grommet.png

Got it figured out. And the well nut was sitting right next to it! ;) Thanks GA.

GA_Boater

Only problem was putting a round peg in a square hole. Not a bad guess with no pic to work from, right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey 'kogs the one in the pic looks what you get when you buy a license plate installation kit (4 speed nuts and 4 screws)

they make speed nuts in different configurations and sizes.

they are also sometimes called push nuts, body nuts and sheet metal screw nuts

southkogs

Staff member
You're right Scott: that is what's behind the ole' license plate. I never thought of that.

"Show" worked easier than "tell," at any rate. There's something to be said about quality of service in an auto parts store. For most things, the local chain gigs work fine. But the minute you're flyin' by the seat of your pants, the store matters a whole lot more.

... and, I've now changed a convertible top on a car :rockon:

GA_Boater

Oh, the things we do when we have nothing else to do except washing hands. :lol:

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... that was a want to do. It's been on my list for a while. I like the car that's under the top. Much nicer to drive now if it rains :)