Death of cable TV - Update

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Does Bowling green have a local CBS station, if so, you should have that through this package, Access for the other $6 allows you to watch a lot of the older shows and movies.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes it does BUT .........

New issue, There appear to be several different channels as we all know exp: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc
I'm seeing the main programming showing news starting a 4pm and continuing until 7pm. When I go to watch I'm seeing Jeopardy and other programming.

Spent 10 minutes in a chat with google and they are telling me what the programming they see. It bounces back n forth between 40.1 and 40.3, what the heck is this.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The sub channels (4.1,4.2, etc.) on broadcast TV don’t always line up with the guide for some reason.

Was watching Mash the other night. Right in the middle and a different show came on. Wasn’t the first time....

alldodge

Staff member
Would be nice if there was more to find on the web about this issue. I'm going to try Nashville to see if its better toward schedule. Should get a VPN (but would cost more) but then I could pick a place, or at least I think (but thinking gets me in trouble most times)

harringtondav

Commander
Would be nice if there was more to find on the web about this issue. I'm going to try Nashville to see if its better toward schedule. Should get a VPN (but would cost more) but then I could pick a place, or at least I think (but thinking gets me in trouble most times)

Hey AD, I got lost in the threads. What service do you have now? Does it support streaming/wifi?

harringtondav

Commander
Trying youtube streaming to see if it will replace dish

If you don't have a "Smart" streaming TV, you can buy a Roku Express 'lil puck thingy for $25 that includes free "News On" which streams local participating news channels, plus other usable free channels. Major network news is free, but time delayed to protect broadcast affiliate's commercial revenue.

This requires an Internet/WiFi feed of some sort. ..thinking you have this with your YouTube.

If you smart TV isn't Roku, use a spare HDMI plug for the Roku Express. More choices. No cost for the Roku account. Charges for Netflix, etc.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you don't have a "Smart" streaming TV, you can buy a Roku Express 'lil puck thingy for $25 that includes free "News On" which streams local participating news channels, plus other usable free channels. Major network news is free, but time delayed to protect broadcast affiliate's commercial revenue.

This requires an Internet/WiFi feed of some sort. ..thinking you have this with your YouTube.

If you smart TV isn't Roku, use a spare HDMI plug for the Roku Express. More choices. No cost for the Roku account. Charges for Netflix, etc.

Mine goes through my fire tv streaming device, that I received as a gift a few years ago from one of the kids, works fine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would be nice if there was more to find on the web about this issue.
What issue are you trying to resolve? From your description of 40.1 etc., sounds like whoever provides your service is streaming broadcast TV. I get over 40 channels off my “rabbit ears”

alldodge

Staff member
Its channel 40.1 not 40 channels.
I have roku and smart tv, this isn't the problem. I'm using roku puck because its better then what's built into the TV by samsung.

Now I'm trying to change location to Nashville but its not working. Have location turned ON, on the phone, and it keeps asking I need to sign in or limiting starts in 10 days. Google is just bad with CS, only way they talk is chat or email.

Need to ask cbs all access if I can stream same shows in EST with me being in CST. At least there is a phone number for them

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I'm going to stick with Dish, cost is $14 more mth. Dish is faster and easier to use and Roku/Youtube. If I could get Youtube to work at both places and be able to protect me from additional changes, the savings would be $74 mth.

Be nice if there was something for just local channels, no extras

I did find out my 3.something MB DSL does stream 4K TV. Also found out there is a difference but not that much, so wonder just how much 8K would be. Some day will get that done also

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some reason cant reply to post as a quote, but....
I looked at the options for services, but it seems like the shows we watch you have to have a cable subscription to get it? doesnt make sense to me, or I am just missing something???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I looked at the options for services, but it seems like the shows we watch you have to have a cable subscription to get it? doesnt make sense to me, or I am just missing something???

Youtube TV is a subscription service and you don't need any other subscription to watch the channels they offer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mike - A lot of streaming, for example History, Discovery, FS1, NBCSN and others require a cable or satellite account to access. It gripes me because I have DirectTV supplied by my apartment complex. I'm paying for it, but through my rent and not directly and can't log on to watch any of them.

harringtondav

Commander

Roku's channel store has the same limitation. A big limitation once you've dumped cable. We're not hurting enough to shop other providers. But YouTube and Hulu + may be worth the cost depending on your needs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The only channel I will mind loosing when I turn Dish off, will be the history channel, for the most part Youtube has more channels than the Sat package I pay the same for right now. It does buffer a small amount during the day, but I am pleased for the most part on how it is working.