Removing king pin from Yammy golf cart .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So while I’m painting the Admirals golf cart and all taken apart I want to replace the bushings in the front king pin assembly ..
I have taken the little sleeve pins out to allow removal of the KP but it’s being stubborn .. Been soaking with WD and hitting with a hammer . I’m gunna try some heat but was wondering when you heat something up to try and un-stick . Do you heat the whole part then cool down before trying to knock it loose or is it best to try while really hot .
‘I don’t have a lot of experience at this stuff so any guidance would be appreciated...

foodfisher

Captain
You're trying to break the seal, weld, grip etc. With the expansion - contraction of the heating process. I would tap all during the process, most agressively after cool down for safety reasons.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you got the pin out, it should come out.

The idea is to use thermal expansion to enlarge the spindle while leaving the pin at ambient so it doesn’t expand.

Heat and beat. If it doesn’t come loose try more heat and a bigger hammer.

Air hammer works well

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have been heating and beating with no luck so far . I think I will take the whole strut loose and put it in a vise .I think the shocks might be keeping me from getting a solid strike with the hammer .
IMG_0767.JPG

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have been heating and beating with no luck so far . I think I will take the whole strut loose and put it in a vise .I think the shocks might be keeping me from getting a solid strike with the hammer .
The pins in our Ez-go came out pretty easily once I got it on the bench.

Kids bent the front axle using it as a 4 wheeler

dwco5051

Commander

I hope that isn't the hammer you are beating on it with. You need to have solid blocking under the arm and at least a three pound hammer to do the beating. If it was mine I would heat it up well and then let it return to room temp. Then put the zerk back in and use my fitting cleaner with mineral spirits, Kroll, or WD-40 and hammer the solvent in. Then hammer away on the fitting. The spindle must be on a solid support before hammering. This should go a lot easier than pivot pins on construction equipment which sometimes takes two or three guys taking turns with the eight pound sledge. Just as a side note I found out many years ago the Hoppes #9 gun cleaner also makes a good substitute for penetrating oil.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Theres no zerk fitting ... That hole you see is for the pins that keep the KP from sliding down .. I have the struts off now so I can put in a vise .. Gunna heat again and use a bigger hammer .. I wish I had thought of just putting blocking under the arm ..
Ohh well at least I can stand up and work on it now ...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that you have the suspension laying all over the place, blow on it. Watch your toes. :smile:

Wonder if auto parts stores do free rental of kingpin tools?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a jack stand and a large socket under the axle and king pin to support it

use a 5# fist maul or at a minimum a 32oz ball peen and a brass drift (never use a claw hammer to drive out pins)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I did manage to remove one of the pins and I almost have the other one out .. I almost started looking on line for a new set of spindles .LOL!!!
Here are my weapons ...
IMG_0778.JPG
I hope the new KP's go back in with no problems ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Update : Got a bigger hammer and got the other one out ... Everything back together now .. The new KP's tightened things up pretty well up front .. Had to get a new charger .. Also new LED lights ,seatcovers , and back armrest /cupholders ...
I'm still gunna either replace or try the easy chrome on the center caps ,shine the rims and install new chrome lug nuts ...
Paint turned out ok ..Haven't decided if I want to paint the roof or not ... Prolly not ...
IMG_0819.JPGIMG_0820.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks good, Sam. White roof is probably better under the hot sun.