Harbor Freight 3 ton floor jack

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I am in the market for a shop floor jack strong enough to lift my F150. Harbor freight has some 3 ton floor jacks for about $100. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It should be ok, even wally world type work for "awhile" . Just never crawl under there without supporting the load with robust jackstands. I prefer a more robust jack also.

foodfisher

Captain
Got one for my Dodge 2500, works but it takes a lot of weight to operate. Awkward position?, forget about it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the costco unit Sam posted is much better quality than the general junk er Harbor Freight units.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have 4 HF jacks, from 1.5 tons up to a 4 ton, the oldest one I have is over 10 years and if you have seen any of my posts over the years, I beat the heck out of them, especially during the winter and I have never blown a seal, cracked a handle or lost a wheel on any of them. I have no problem with them and they have been good jacks.

Does Harbor Freight have some junk? Yes, just like any other company and they have lot of good stuff for the average home mechanic and some of the NASCAR teams are using their Daytona brand jacks at the races every week.

Just because it comes from a Harbor Freight does not mean it is automatically junk, just like every single other company out there, things have improved over the years.

By the way, the Costco unit that Sam posted is made exactly like and by the same company that makes many of the HF jacks.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Click image for larger version  Name:	20191024_150903-2268x3024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	975.5 KB ID:	10810786 this is the one I got from HF. It gets my plow trucks high enough off the ground for a fat guy on a creeper. Super happy with it. I think it has 25" of lift...maybe more, cant remember. I can buy 4 of them for the price of one off the snap-on truck. Not sure if rebuild kits are available but for a buck eighty or whatever I paid I dont care. I'll get another. I use them daily, several times a day, year round. I dont even need to remove the 1200#'s of ballast out of the beds.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have one too from HF but as a word of caution.......... PLEASE use a jackstand. I would not trust it as a support alone. Fat guys on creeper's have been crushed in the past for not using jack stands :(

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On the strength of favorable comments here, and on an F150 forum I frequent, I picked up one of the harbor freight 3 ton low-profile jacks. have not had a chance to use it yet, because I hit a deer last weekend and smashed up my new truck pretty well. It's going to be in the shop for a couple weeks getting repaired.

Thanks for all the feedback!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have one too from HF but as a word of caution.......... PLEASE use a jackstand. I would not trust it as a support alone. Fat guys on creeper's have been crushed in the past for not using jack stands :(

I don't care what jack brand it is, I don't get under a car without jackstands

:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just go the new HF sale book in the mail today and they have the 3 ton on sale for $99 bucks with the coupon included in the book, clip and carry, it is a decent jack.